lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Low Speed Driving

Good morning all,

I believe I read some answers to this question here but can't find it, so thought I would ask again. Is driving at half throttle or less in any way harmful to the individual components from batteries to motor?

My 99 CC's running gear is all stock except for the MCOR-4 installation to replace the V-glide. Smart move, that was!

Top speed is 13 to 14 MPH on flat ground which is more than enough for me even if I am in a hurry. I couldn't imagine myself driving any faster than that.

However, my wife and I prefer leisurely cruising around at 5 to 8 MPH, which is much easier to do with the MCOR than the V-glide. Are there any problems associated with low speed driving for 30 to 40 minutes?

I have checked all wiring [original 6 gauge] and operating components for heat but see no heat issues.

A sub-question regarding this: Would upgrading to 4 gauge wiring be a beneficial improvement under these operating characteristics?

Thanks for your help always,
Tom
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Low Speed Driving

I do not beleive those speeds are slow enough to hurt anything. Mine is a SepEx (IQ) cart and I know they were specifically designed for people moves per se'.

And I have always been a proponent of upgraded cables as the stock cable are so weak and cheap. My fathers is a '96 CC DS "Series" style and I am assuming yours is too. As a early father's day gift I replaced his 6 awg with 2 awg heavy duty welding cable with copper lugs and heat-shrink sealed ends and he is still bragging about much more torque and throttle response he feels. His is bone stock other than that. (and you are making it more efficient with upgraded cables as you get less loss over length of travel - so more energy where you want it)

And if yours is original cables from '99, they probably need to be replaced anyway.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the response. Everything you said makes perfect sense.

I'll be heading for that upgrade soon.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #4
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Low speed cruising is not a problem as long as it is intentional and not due to heavy load. Running 5-7MPH flat out because you are climbing a very steep hill or you have the entire neighborhood loaded on your cart would be a smokey nightmare!
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
Low speed cruising is not a problem as long as it is intentional and not due to heavy load. Running 5-7MPH flat out because you are climbing a very steep hill or you have the entire neighborhood loaded on your cart would be a smokey nightmare!
I can second that have a customer that always tows really heavy stuff with his DS. something is always melted and smoking when I get it
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you, guys! Always appreciate knowledgeable input!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car