lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
dls322
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Flex Seal on Tire Sidewalls?

Hi

I have a set of tires on my cart that have side wall cracking. I saw some people on YouTube using Flex Seal to "cover" side wall cracks. My tires hold air and have great tread but i was hoping to get a few more seasons out of them by keeping the cracking at bay.
I understand that this will not stop high pressure leaking, my goal is to keep them from cracking any more and making them look more visually appealing.

Anyone have an opinion on this or have another idea to keep side wall cracking at bay.

Thanks!
dls322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Flex Seal on Tire Sidewalls?

Dang, that's a good one! Give it a try. I'm waiting for their next commercial, where the turn a pile of screen doors into a submarine.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
dls322
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe they will feature me on their commercial if it works....LOL

I'm sure there is too much legal liability if people start using it on their car tires!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Could you please post some photos after you do this? I would like to see it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Dang, that's a good one! Give it a try. I'm waiting for their next commercial, where the turn a pile of screen doors into a submarine.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
dls322
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sure, I will post some pics. Might be a few days

The underwater pickup truck was a little over the top!

flex funny.png
Old 03-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

The flex seal stuff is very good for many applications but golf cart tires? First off, it is going to look like icing on a cake. Ok on a cake but looks like crap on a tire. I posted a few days ago about getting take offs or ordering new tires. I didn't realize how cheap you can get new tires. I got OEM replacements mounted on new rims for $35 each shipped free to my home from Walmart online. I ordered them yesterday and they will be here by Sat.. If you order from them make sure you get the tire/rim combo if that is what you want. There isn's a lot of price diff between just the tire or mounted with rim.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/43803777
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Yep Richochet, hard to beat that deal, Costco has something similar. I would probably never use that stuff on a golf cart. I would like to see what it does though.

Suppose you had an old tractor or something you use only twice a year and don't want to spend $1000 on tires right now. Or perhaps you need to move something and don't want to buy new tires to move it. Just wondering how this would work.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Suppose you had an old tractor or something you use only twice a year and don't want to spend $1000 on tires right now. Or perhaps you need to move something and don't want to buy new tires to move it. Just wondering how this would work.
My biggest concern is when inflating these tires how structurally stable are they? Even a low PSI tire like a golf cart tire can be an accident waiting to happen. If the air leak starts as a "hiss" not that big of a deal. But if that mere 20 psi blows the whole sidewall out in an instant that is a different situation. I had a friend last summer who was inflating a small rotor tiller tire. It was an old tire and before he got it fully inflated it blew up. He had to have surgery on his hand and was lucky that he didn't lose any fingers or eyes.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

The sidewall cracking is common and nothing in a spray can is going to give structural strength. If it is just the outer rubber cracking it generally not structural. But if you can see ANY and I mean ANY cords breaking in those cracks, those tires are ready for use burning brush piles.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO