lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Another Stupid Battery Question

I bought a 2012 cart upgraded by CC in 2015. It was abused as far as battery maintenance.
It has 6-8V Trojan batteries all dated L4 which translates to 12/14 when they left the factory. The time from factory to cart, I don't know.
When I got the cart, four batteries were dry. It took almost 2 gallons of distilled water to get those 4 batteries with water just over the plates.
The other 2 batteries had water over the plates, both drivers side batteries.

Now, this is what's strange to me and some of you can probable explain it.
The 2 batteries that had fluid over the plates test bad. I've let them charge with the pack several times, reset the OBC & let charge several times. They are just bad. The voltage after charging & 12 hr rest on these two batteries is 8.3V +- .04V.

The other 4 batteries that were dry test good at 8.56V after charge and 12 hr rest.
The sides of a couple of these 4 batteries are starting to bulge slightly, probably from overcharging I'd guess.
These 4 batteries have a good SG reading on every cell.

Now after all of this, my question.
Do you think it would be best to purchase two new batteries from Sam's or Costco to replace the two bad batteries and try to push the pack for another year or two or just throw my hands up and purchase a new pack?
When I do replace the pack, I plan to go back with Trojan and they are $145 plus tax each here.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Another Stupid Battery Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I bought a 2012 cart upgraded by CC in 2015. It was abused as far as battery maintenance.
It has 6-8V Trojan batteries all dated L4 which translates to 12/14 when they left the factory. The time from factory to cart, I don't know.
When I got the cart, four batteries were dry. It took almost 2 gallons of distilled water to get those 4 batteries with water just over the plates.
The other 2 batteries had water over the plates, both drivers side batteries.

Now, this is what's strange to me and some of you can probable explain it.
The 2 batteries that had fluid over the plates test bad. I've let them charge with the pack several times, reset the OBC & let charge several times. They are just bad. The voltage after charging & 12 hr rest on these two batteries is 48.3V +- .04V.

The other 4 batteries that were dry test good at 8.56V after charge and 12 hr rest.
The sides of a couple of these 4 batteries are starting to bulge slightly, probably from overcharging I'd guess.
These 4 batteries have a good SG reading on every cell.

Now after all of this, my question.
Do you think it would be best to purchase two new batteries from Sam's or Costco to replace the two bad batteries and try to push the pack for another year or two or just throw my hands up and purchase a new pack?
When I do replace the pack, I plan to go back with Trojan and they are $145 plus tax each here.
Replace all batteries. Proper charging will be all but impossible and new batteries will just get ruined.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Replace all 6
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

IMO
Now that you will be maintaining the batts properly
I'd buy a new set & look forward to 4 maybe 5 years of
good reliable battery service

They are almost 3 years old & have had no maintenance, no
guess as to how much life the good ones have in them

If you're a snow bird & only need 3 or 4 months a year, milk them thru
this season, & maybe one more next winter
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Not a snow bird. I use my cart just about every day. I live/stay in a RV park 90+% of the time. I ride my cart every day after work depending on weather. It's my relaxation time after work. A cold beer or few, good cigar and a hr or more of riding listening to good music hits the spot after a day at the office.

Plus, I'm a sporting shooter, shooting a lot of Sporting Clays Tournaments using my cart as a team cart.
I've got a tournament coming up this weekend, The Houma Oilmans, the biggest shoot I do every year. The team wanted to use my cart but it's just not ready for the task yet.
My old cart would do it, but I sold it last week.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #6
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Not a snow bird. I use my cart just about every day. I live/stay in a RV park 90+% of the time. I ride my cart every day after work depending on weather. It's my relaxation time after work. A cold beer or few, good cigar and a hr or more of riding listening to good music hits the spot after a day at the office.

Plus, I'm a sporting shooter, shooting a lot of Sporting Clays Tournaments using my cart as a team cart.
I've got a tournament coming up this weekend, The Houma Oilmans, the biggest shoot I do every year. The team wanted to use my cart but it's just not ready for the task yet.
My old cart would do it, but I sold it last week.

Houma huh? Know any Blanchards? Lol! But yea, just get 6 new batts and go shoot SKEET......You know it's not called "sporting clays" down here!!
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
Houma huh? Know any Blanchards? Lol! But yea, just get 6 new batts and go shoot SKEET......You know it's not called "sporting clays" down here!!
Well, yes, there is much difference in between shooting
Sporting Clays and Skeet.
Skeet, you have one high house and one low house. 8 different stations shooting the same birds. Just from different angels.
Sporting Clays, the machines may be set up for 8 or 10 stations with birds coming from anywhere plus at least one rabbit.
I shoot a lot of skeet at my range here right of of Houston on weekends when I don't have a Sporting Clays tournament lined up.
I'll be shooting 5 Stand this weekend too, another Clay Bird Game.
Skeet = 25 rds
Most times Sporting Clays =100 rds, "Have shot a few 60 Rd Courses but that's unusual.
5 Stand & Trap = 25 rds. 5 Stand would be the closest to Sporting Clays since you are shooting different targets at for 8 different machines.

I might know some Blanchards if they shoot or work in the oilfield. I was a oilfield worker that caught out of Houma at PHI for 25 yrs.
My back went South a number of yrs back, I'm a desk jockey now.

clays & Sheet.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

OK, anyone else want to chine on my battery situation, read my first post. It made sense to me to purchase two cheaper batteries, "Sams, Costco's" and try to milk the pack another year?

Or wait until the pack starts giving my problems on my daily ride? Then change the whole pack with new batteries?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Even with cheap batteries you are looking at $150. Might as well throw that $$$ towards a new set now, no?

With your plan you'll pay $150 now then another $800 in a year or so for a total of $950. Or you can just go with $800 now and be done with it. It's likely a quality new set (if purchased now) will get you the extra year that the cheapos would get you anyway.

It's a no brainer.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car