lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Emmster29
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Used Batteries

Hi all,

From a previous post, we figured out that a 48V cart I bought has 6v batteries in it. I'm trying to find good prices on 8v batteries to get it running well again. I found a couple of 8V batteries at a good price on craigslist. The seller says they're new and they look like they might be from the picture but obviously I want to minimize the risk. A couple of questions:

I could take my test meter over there and test the charge on them but if they've been sitting a while, I'm guessing they probably don't have a charge? Is that true?

Beyond using a tester and looking over / inside them for obvious signs of wear, is there anything else I can do to verify their condition?

If I did buy them, would I be able to put just these 2 8V batteries in the cart and leave 4 6v batteries in and charge them that way? I have a 48V charger.

Thanks for dealing with my stupid questions, I really don't know a lot about this stuff.
Emmster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Used Batteries

Do not buy used batteries for a golf cart. Go to a battery store and expect to pay 110.00 per battery. That will get you batteries that will last you 5-6 years then you can sell them on Glist.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ummm, 4 x 6 volts = 24 volts, + 2 x 8 volts still just equals 40 volts total. Now there are some 48 volt carts out there that are 8 x 6 volt batteries, so that might be one way to go if you can find a place to stuff 2 more batteries in there.
I'm sure you have already read the recommendations against mixing newer & older batteries, but I understand not being in a position to buy the full set new.
Regardless of what direction you go, used batteries are going to be kind of a crap shoot. There is equipment out there that can load test the batteries to see what kind of run time you might expect, but you're probably not going to have that available to you. Even just checking the at rest voltage requires a good volt meter, a full charge and some degree of certainty over how long they have settled since that full charge.
Maybe some of the electric cart specialty guys can chime in, but my 2 cents worth is proceed with caution. Good Luck
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would not buy used batteries period much less not a full set.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The person on craigslist said they are new? How new? There should be a stamp on the battery , most do. It's a bit of a code that tells when it was born ,but you can ask him for that number and cross reference it.
Joel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I purchased a set of 6 month old used 6volt batteries with a one year warranty from a local Interstate battery store months ago for $300. I figured give it a shot. I was very skeptical at first also but after checking out the stamped number they checked out to be legit.
Joel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

"do it right, cry once"
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can get a 500 amp load tester crank it at 400 amps to see if the batteries will pull that many amps new they will as they get older they wont.350 is still good you can also hydrometer them to see any weak cells.the whole pack of batteries should be all the same voltage .5 volt differance in any one means its no good when loading them check voltage at same time.good luck
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
Emmster29
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for all the advice. I'll ask him to give me a pic of the battery date as Joel said and go from there.
Emmster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Used Batteries

The other issue is age...if they haven't been charged on a regular schedule then the batteries sulfate...lts like plaque on your teeth and once it starts it's hard to break down...the end result are batteries that just won't take a charge properly.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car