lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Warning Light

I'm still getting the 10/4 seconds intervals on my warning light. In the Powerdrive manual, it says contact Club Car dealer for this. I have the 17930 model with new relay & heatsink and by all accounts it's charging normally. Every time time I check the pack after a charge & several hours rest, it's 51-52V which is good for newer batteries (July 2016), from what I've read here. Has been as high a 54.5V right after a charge.
I've also reset the OBC several times. No batteries are out of balance and all are in good shape with proper amount of acid/water. I've not drove the cart enough to establish how much run time I can get.

I have watched the needle on charger gauge a few times at end of charge cycle and I've never seen it get below 8 Amps. Charger cuts off at @8 amps. I would have thought amp gauge would slowly trend down to zero? Maybe, it's not fully charging? I'm not certain what I'm looking for, but being OCD, the light bothers me and leads me to think something is not right.
Ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Warning Light

Can I disconnect the warning light without issue if I can't figure out why it's coming on?
My gut is telling me the OBC has issues.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The charging current not getting below 8 amps can be an actual problem the OBC is warning you about.

Can You verify what connections (how many wires/cables) You have on both pack positive and pack negative battery posts?

You should not have any additional wires on any other battery posts, just the cables that connect the batteries to each other.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Put a piece of tape over it until you figure it out. But the best solution is to replace the charger with a DPI charger. The PD charger is 20 y/o technology. With solar energy being developed there have been big changes in charging technology.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The charging current not getting below 8 amps can be an actual problem the OBC is warning you about.

Can You verify what connections (how many wires/cables) You have on both pack positive and pack negative battery posts?

You should not have any additional wires on any other battery posts, just the cables that connect the batteries to each other.
3 on pack positive: Main, charge receptacle positive, & positive from LED I added.

1 on pack negative: Main negative

I have the negative from LED connected to battery next to pack positive battery (no voltage reducer). But, the warning light was doing this before I added the LED.

The charger/OBC has acted strange at times since I've had the cart. Sometimes, the charger will stop, or the breaker (front of charger) will trip.
A few times, it didn't click when plugged in and I'd reset OBC.

I tried to bypass OBC by jumping charge recep (grey) to pack negative from what I've read on here. It did not work. Not sure what that means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart5.jpg (221.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The white and red wires that go next to the FNR, is that the on/off switch for the lights?

If that is the light switch and it is off, it should not interfere with the charging cycle as long as that negative wire only goes to the LED lights.

The gray wire is how the OBC turns the charger on/off, What problem were you trying to fix when You jumped that to negative?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The white and red wires that go next to the FNR, is that the on/off switch for the lights?

If that is the light switch and it is off, it should not interfere with the charging cycle as long as that negative wire only goes to the LED lights.

The gray wire is how the OBC turns the charger on/off, What problem were you trying to fix when You jumped that to negative?
Yes, red & white is from the toggle switch (LED) and negative only goes to light.

On jumping the OBC, I was going to force a charge and monitor the voltage so I wouldn't overcharge. I may have read something wrong, but I saw a post on here that said to jump grey sense wire to pack negative to take OBC out of the picture. But charger would not come on and no click.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
Yes, red & white is from the toggle switch (LED) and negative only goes to light.

On jumping the OBC, I was going to force a charge and monitor the voltage so I wouldn't overcharge. I may have read something wrong, but I saw a post on here that said to jump grey sense wire to pack negative to take OBC out of the picture. But charger would not come on and no click.
Jumping the gray wire to pack negative would cause the charger relay to come ON as soon as the charger is plugged into the cart.

The OBC would have no way to turn the charger OFF, so that is just a diagnostic test to check if the OBC charger activation circuit has failed. You cannot use the cart like that.

So How are you charging the cart then?
Old 11-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Jumping the gray wire to pack negative would cause the charger relay to come ON as soon as the charger is plugged into the cart.

The OBC would have no way to turn the charger OFF, so that is just a diagnostic test to check if the OBC charger activation circuit has failed. You cannot use the cart like that.

So How are you charging the cart then?
The charger works and communicates with OBC, but I don't think it's fully charging the batteries and the warning light is coming on in 10/4 second intervals at all times, leading me to believe something's up somewhere.

By jumping the grey to pack negative, the charger did not run. This is also when I discovered previous owner had removed the fuse on grey recep wire.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The gray wire is how the OBC communicates with the external charger.

If there is no fuse on the gray wire, the gray wire is disconnected or the gray wire is run to pack negative, that communication does not exist.

Are you saying the cart charges with the gray wire disconnected?

If Your charger works is because the relay has been by-passed inside the charger or has some other modification done to it and most likely it is not charging correctly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car