lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
Hawkeye00
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Motor Advice

Recently began deconstruction and reconstruction of 97 Club car (series 48Volt) that was all original. Upgraded to Jake's 4 in. Double A-arm lift and 22" tires, ordered new 2 g cables and 700 amp controller (5k-0) 400 solenoid kit from Scotty B. Was told by another cart person if I was upgrading controller to spend extra $50 for 700 amp vs. 500 amp control. I was also told that I could use the stock F&R until it goes out, GE controller don't burn up F&R.

From everything I have read probably should change out to a HD F&R? Next biggie is the motor. It has the original 48 V Club Car 3.10 hp. motor in it that runs fine (Model #5BC59JBS6194. I really don't want to spend $400-$600 on a new motor at this point. Can that motor core be upgraded for a reasonable price to add some speed and torque? Maybe 20-25 mph? I am new at this Golf Cart hobby and have been bit hard by the addiction! Lastly, can the old Curtis controller and other parts being removed be sold easily?
Thanks for any response!
Hawkeye00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Advice

So, to answer a few of your questions.

Yes, I would replace the stock FNR to at the very least a heavy duty one, but would really recommend a reversing contactor. You'll never have to worry about replacing it again and once you go to a toggle switch from the lever, you won't regret it. Your new 2 ga wiring is only as good as the weakest link and that would be the FNR switch.

Good move going with the 700amp controller. The $50 difference is negligible for the extra amps you get.

For a cheap upgrade to your stock motor and to easily get more than your desired top speed, I'd easily go with a Plum Quick Bandit motor upgrade. For $225 +shipping you send in your stock motor to them, they replace the internals, ship it back to you and you'll get crazy speed. *BUT*... you will need to TURN DOWN your controller amp output to 500 amps or less to run that motor safely. Even though it has been reworked by PQ, it is still a stock motor and can not safely handle the max output of that controller very long. You'll eventually burn it up.

Put your old Curtis controller on the for sale forum. Someone might pick it up a decent price to recoup what you've spent on your upgrades.

IT IS AN ADDICTION!!! Hope this helps!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
I was also told that I could use the stock F&R until it goes out, GE controller don't burn up F&R.
I burned up 3 of them , all 3 the same way the reverse lug in the switch block melted into the block itself and wouldnt make contact anymore. Now the stock motor took a few years but overtime i melted the threads off the S1 stud. You didnt buy a 700 amp controller just to turn it down , replace the F/R switch with a good HD DONT GET CHEAP or you will replace it again (i should know) lol. Then save your pennies for a custom motor down the line , bandit upgrades dont work well in the thin wall motor cases when putting that much amps to it . I dont know if your stock motor is or isnt a thin wall , something to look into .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Amps are amps. Any 700 amp controller is going to burn up a stock F&R switch. Also, the stock 3.10hp motor isn't going to be a big fan of that much power either. That's a lot of power. None of your components should be stock with a controller like that. Including all of the wiring.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Hawkeye00
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I will be upgrading the F&R switch asap. May just start with the Bandit motor upgrade if I discover stock motor is not thin walled. Work on saving some more funds for a new motor upgrade! Thanks again, learning more than I ever thought I would about carts. Started as a simple redo for the wife!!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's a thin wall motor. All factory 3.1 hp motors are thin wall GE motors.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:08 AM   #7
Hawkeye00
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks. Do you thing $250-300 would be a reasonable ask if I sold the stock motor and controller together?

Last edited by Hawkeye00; 07-20-2016 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: forgot to add controller
Old 07-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye00 View Post
Thanks. Do you thing $250-300 would be a reasonable ask if I sold the stock motor and controller together?
Yes. That sounds good if they're both in good working order.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #9
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye00 View Post
Seems reasonable. I'd take that money and add the $225 you would've spent on the Bandit upgrade and put it towards the AMD 7114 motor.

https://www.golfcartking.com/club-ca...tor-the-beast/

That's a great deal and from a site sponsor to boot.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Hawkeye00
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Really appreciate all the helpful advice, it has given me an education as well. Generated some research on motors and gotten quotes on them as well. Now, I have narrowed down to a motor from D&D or AMD for roughly the same price and type. I have read good about both of these motors, any thoughts? Also, was advised by D&D tech that if I order from them to keep my control turn up, not sure on the AMD motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car