lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Bdun111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Starting over help

Hello. I have come to the conclusion that whoever we bought our Club Car from, should have labeled all of the spliced wires.
I am starting from scratch and need suggestions on the best way to wire our 48v (6, 8v batteries).

Currently we have a LED light bar up front, rear led lights, a marine grade radio, overhead speakers, front winch, solar panel, and (2) in-dash 12v outlets. There is a toggle switch in the radio area for the lights. Except the winch, everything was connected through a 220w 48v to 12v converter/reducer. I believe the red output wire is bad since testing with multimeter worked on other wires not the red. From what I can tell, the radio, front led light bar, and something else used in-line fuses, not a fuse block.
We have a in dash voltage meter and a overhead digital meter. Hopefully that is everything.
Bdun111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Starting over help

Wire all your accessories from the reducer. You can wire the 12v "hot" coming from the reducer into a split box and run the power for each accessory from the split box. Keep in mind that if you only have a 10 amp reducer you might end up with too much draw when using all accessories at once. I would opt for a 30 amp reducer.
Wire the voltage reducer INPUT off the entire battery pack. Then run your 12v hot and ground to a split box where you connect the accessories.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
crash test dummy

i would go with a fuse box set up like this

Old 06-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Bdun111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank your for your help. Currently there is/was a 20amp 240w reducer, however I think the Red positive output is bad. We are replacing it.
What exactly is a split box? I pretty sure using the same gauge wire is the way to go, but whoever wired it mixed gauges, and colors. The yellow wire from 4-wire reducer was spliced into white wire.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Split box is a fused box of terminals or an Unfused box where one input (and ground) is split into multiple terminals. Graphics above are exactly what you need.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

A split box, in house wiring terms, is a junction box where all hots, neutrals and grounds are connected either directly or through buss bars.

I would recommend Crash's suggestion because all the accessories need to be fused and having a central location for the fuses aids troubleshooting. There are good reasons for your car having fuse panels.

Edit-Rats, I have to learn how to type faster
tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
flkeysdude359
Gone Wild
Club Car

For a little bit of effort and not a lot of money, you can mark those spliced wires with colored electrical tape to make identification a little bit easier...

http://www.harborfreight.com/colored...ack-66462.html
flkeysdude359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
Bdun111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the help. I have a few more questions.
1. When doing a multi-meter test on the converter, the only wire we didnt get a reading on was the Red, which was an output. It was a 48V dc to 12V dc 20Amax 240Wmax converter. Is this normal or should there be a reading?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
crash test dummy

are you getting 12v from the converter ?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
Bdun111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

We tested both output wires and the red one showed no voltage. The other showed 12. We also did ohm test and all but red worked. We are replacing the converter anyway, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't normal.

Tags
48v, converter, fuse block, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car