lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
MDOVERALL
Not Yet Wild

Default New Guy Needs Help to Upgrade a EZGO 97 SEPEX cart

Hello, I have never owned a cart and got one cheap. It is a 97 EZGO Sepex DCS cart. I am currently charging the batteries and not sure if they are any good. It has a lift and 22in tires, and everything else is stock it appears.

I want to make a good cart for my two boys to mess around with. We live on a little land and they will use it to run around on, go off road, and to run around the deer lease.

I am curious with all the options out there what I should do to upgrade it. Such as controllers or go to 48 and etc.

Again I have no experience with carts and appreciate your thoughts.

Mike
MDOVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: New Guy Needs Help to Upgrade a EZGO 97 SEPEX cart

If you have to buy batteries my advice is to go ahead and jump to 48 volts. That will require the batteries, new controller which will be a major improvement over stock, solenoid, charger and changing out the main current wires which you should do anyway. Total investment in the $1500 range but would have good strong setup.

My 2 cents.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

42v batt pack, stock motor,upgrade everything else(2g wires,controller,solenoid,ect) and you will have a great cart for years imo....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Over the years I have found the stock DCS and PDS do better on 42 volts than 36 or 48 volts.
48v seems to work well for series motors but, these sepex motors react quicker and operate almost violently on 48v. 42v gives the desired increased torque and speed while reducing amperage draw and heat compared to 36v operation without the violent effects of over volting the motor at 48.
My 42v PDS is running 24mph max on 20" knobbie tires using a D&D hi-torque motor for our mud and hills.
JohnnieB's 42v PDS is running faster using a custom D&D motor on 42v on stock tires.

See my email response for more information about XCT packages and cable sets.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
MDOVERALL
Not Yet Wild

thanks for all you input just there is a ton of things to do with these carts.....I guess I could spend a ton on this
MDOVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some do - others budget
Do the performance upgrades first and the big tires & added seating 2nd for best results otherwise, it's easy to wind up with a cart that looks like it should climb the mountain but can't get out of it's own way... lol
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am doing my in pieces (a little each year). I started by upgrading my cables to 2awg, and went with a dcx400 (this was last year before the xct was available!), and upgraded the solenoid. I also installed a DVM. This past fall, I upgraded/replaced the shocks and leaf-springs (both are "heavy duty").

This year (next month) I will be upgrading my battery pack, I think I am going to 42v but I haven't ruled out 48v (6 of those Rangers is appeasing!)... I will also be adding bigger tires, but I am only going to 20" and not adding a lift.

Then either the fall or next year I may look at a custom motor...and to add a backseat by this time, with 2 little girls its starting to get cramped!

This is just my plan and what will work for me...
Perry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO