lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 Ezgo PDS Brake Modifications

As most of us learn quickly, the stock brakes leave a bit to be desired. Perfect for their intended use but lacking with back seats, loads, big wheels or speed. Plus adjusting the cables constantly to have brakes at all is a PIA.
I had already bought the Ausco mechanical disc brake kit and used it for a few years. Though better than stock, same problems arose. Constant cable stretch. Plus I did hear a bit of drag occasionally and I hate that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439560356.691998.jpg

So I started doing a little research. Ezgo hubs run a 4x100mm bolt pattern. Turns out a few cars do or did too. I bought a pair of early Miata discs for 24 bucks each no core at the local auto parts. Funny thing is the wheel studs for the Ezgo are larger in diameter than the Miata's. Not a problem I just enlarged the holes to match the new hub.
I bought discs for the fronts. If I were to do it again I would purchase the rear discs as they are not vented (thick, heavy and not needed). Using the thinner discs would allow more caliper options too. Nice 4 pots from a motorcycle for example?
I looked on eBay for master cylinders. Though plenty of options I didn't want to fabricate everything if possible. I ran across an AP Racing pull type master cylinder. Odd unit I had never seen. They are used in pedal boxes and such. Typically used once in NASCAR applications and then sold for pennies on the dollar. IIRC I paid 50 bucks (450 new!). I do still see them and though and they work well but I am still looking for a more affordable option. However in its defense, the mounting used all stock parts in a different configuration. I did have to drill 1 hole right between the 2 holes where the stock brake cables were installed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561045.640294.jpg

I tried to retain the spring in the thought it would retain the original parking brake. Neat thought but bleeding the brakes proved it put a constant tension on the system. Not what I wanted at all. I could probably adjust the tension out but it turns out it isn't needed. Less parts, less weight, faster acceleration, higher speeds and easier to stop No brainier then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561271.153229.jpg

Here is the disc mounted. I do have a lathe and mill (actually a few) so I am able to do a few mods. The discs did require to ID of the hat to be opened ever so slightly to clear the Ezgo hub. The holes for the wheel studs also had to be enlarged but that was simple hand drill stepping up the right size. Here is the disc alone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561466.215562.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561513.810665.jpg

I then cruised the junk yard to find the suitable calipers or something I wanted to build brackets for. I originally went for front calipers. In hindsight I think the rear calipers would be better (usually single piston and smaller overall units) my thought is less pressure needed and plenty of pad contact area to work well in this app. I ended up buying some Hyundai Elantra calipers, bolts and stock flexible lines. That last part was the correct decision. As you can see my lines are mounted to the bottom of the shock bolts giving excellent support and protection plus it looks factory!
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for being so long winded.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439561940.619661.jpg

here is the brake hose attached as mentioned above.
I did mill a simple bracket to mount the calipers and I captured the original tab on the rear end to maximize strength. Btw when Dana builds these rear ends they don't jig those plates, just approximate and both of my calipers are at slightly different angles. Not noticeable to anyone but the retentive among us. Does not effect use at all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439562134.580394.jpg

I did not go thru the effort of changing my CAD file to require a different bracket. Just flip it over for the other side. Works perfect but if these were commercial I would modify the file.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439562228.610588.jpg

you can see here how the tab was captured to eliminate rotation or the shear load on the bolts alone. Who knows what speeds I am shooting for? More though!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439562355.206092.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the first thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

There is an Alltrax XCT400 to arrive today. Expect a follow up review with video comparisons. The 42v charger and extra battery will be installed but I will test at 36 and 42 volts separately on video. Plus it's programmable via laptop. I already have the software as it is free from Alltrax, looks simple too.
Btw a front brake system will be added soon. Though I can lock up my brakes with ease now. I would get much better stopping with fronts too. Mostly likely going with drilled rear rotors all the way around a proportional valve and possibly Wilwood single piston in the rear and single or doubles in front.
I forgot to mention, I went in to the back of my local auto parts and bought premade hard lines with the correct fittings and simply put a 90 degree bend in them. I used a T fitting from Jeg's that the lines fit perfectly and gave me a mounting point. After ordering online I found a great Race Shop right near my house that had everything on the shelf at comparable prices. I will be back there. The have all of the Willwood stuff on the shelf!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 Ezgo PDS Brake Modifications

Here are the hard lines and the T I was referring to. I will pull my batteries and or battery box in the next few days and weld on the supports for the strain reliefs and the T's mounting stud or bolt. And paint it. That battery acid is vicious.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439563623.835347.jpg

Phone app is acting up.

A final over all picture. The cart also has an AllSports 8" independent long travel kit

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439563705.014326.jpg
Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally my reservoir showed up. Of course I had to drill and tap the bottom to receive an AN fitting. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440091340.067146.jpg
Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 Ezgo PDS Brake Modifications

Good to see pics after hearing about this project. It looks very clean. I'll bet it stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It definitely locks up the rear brakes! Also maintained the parking brake. It is only putting light pressure on the brake system that early in the pedal's stroke.

I am going to work on the fronts next. Using a more conventional master cylinder possibly.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
paintdude96
Been Wild Since Day 1

E-Z-GO

nice time to start rounding up parts now
paintdude96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great write up and nice pics! Excellent job.

Would you be willing to make some the caliper brackets for sale? I have an old Bridgeport manual mill but it is out of tram and not good for making precision parts. Sounds like you have CNC.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh and what size wheel do you think is needed for the discs to fit. Think they would fit 10s?
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides