lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
clubcar2010
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Where to mount voltage reducer on 2010 Precedent?

Hello! First time poster here, hoping someone can help me out.

First, a little background. Earlier this year I installed a basic light kit on my 2010 48v Club Car Precedent. I didn't use a voltage reducer, just installed a bucket harness to some sort of factory harness using the first two batteries in the series, then routed another wire over the wheel well to the tail lights (2010 Precedents aren't prewired). Not sure exactly what I did, but I followed the bucket harness and light kit instructions and everything is working properly (Are my lights operating off of 16v??).

Now, I'm ready to install a stereo head unit and some speakers, and I know I need to install a 48v to 12v reducer first. Do I need to redo my light kit wiring, or can I leave that alone and start with wiring the new voltage reducer then hooking the stereo directly to that?

Secondly, and the thing I am most curious about, where do most people mount a voltage reducer in a newer 48v Precedent? My understanding is that the reducer should be mounted to metal, but it looks like everything in the battery well is lined with plastic. Also, that space is already very crammed, and I don't even see a spot where a voltage reducer could be mounted.

Thanks in advance for helping me out, and I look forward to the responses.
clubcar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Where to mount voltage reducer on 2010 Precedent?

There is a metal bracket, pre-drilled, just in front of the dash and behind the front wheels. It is located where a firewall on a car is located.
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantrree View Post
There is a metal bracket, pre-drilled, just in front of the dash and behind the front wheels. It is located where a firewall on a car is located.
Can you clarify that some, do you take the cowl off?
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

You do not need to take the cowl off. You can reach it by jacking up front end and you will see bracket, "dashboard support."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled.pdf (274.6 KB, 0 views)
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

You don't need to mount it to metal . You don't want any grounds to the frame, all grounds go to the battery post. And you lights are going to be running on around 17 volts at a full charge on the batteries.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
clubcar2010
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great, thanks for the help. A few follow-up questions:

When mounting the voltage reducer, can the metal bracket by accessed from within the cart once the dash is removed, or do I need to jack up the cart and access it from underneath the cowl? Any pictures or diagrams of this bracket (I haven't been able to find one online)?

Would there be any disadvantages to leaving my lights connected as they are, or should I wire them into the voltage reducer along with the radio?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is where i mounted mine, added a bus bar up font for lights but not necessary.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-reducer.html
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
clubcar2010
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oops, just realized jantrree's post had an attached PDF. Nevermind re: the bracket location question.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I usually mount them right behind the forward reverse switch, in the battery tub. Much like the picture scooterman had, but i turn mine sideways, and mount it towards the top of the tub. It fits real nice there.

Then i cut a small rectangle out of and old windshield, and drill holes in that to mount the cut off switch. This plastic piece , with the switch, fits perfect on driver side, screwed to top lip of tub, ans switch overhangs in the small void between the tub and the body.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car