lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What fuse needed for a 12v inverter?

I just bought a 48V CC. The previous owner wired up a 12V inverter with no fuse protection on the 48V side. Anytime I disconnect the power to the battery, I get a spark off the negative side (albeit A LOT smaller than when I wasn't thinking and disconnected the positive side ).

Is a fuse needed on the 48V side? To keep it from sparking everytime I touch the negative terminal, should a toggle switch of some sort be installed?
jabber82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: What fuse needed for a 12v inverter?

Hey Jabber82, you raised a few questions.

What wattage is this inverter rated for?

Sparks when you disconnect is not a fuse issue but does raise another question.
Is the inverter ON when you disconnect?
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Inverter is always on as I cannot see an on/off switch on it anywhere. He had it hard wired straight to the 48V battery array. I have no clue on the wattage, it came with that cart. I haven't taken it off to check for a brand.

I am thinking that some sort of fuse will not work as they are designed for a 12V system. Possibly a toggle switch to shut off the positive side?
Old 05-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These units draw a small amount of power constantly so they should be wired to a 48v relay like you find in a 48v CC charger if they are not a unit designed with a keyswitch or toggle type on/off.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scotty. I watched a video and it shows that there will always be a small spark while the internal capacitor gets its initial charge. But who knows as the guy hooked up the negative then positive side.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber82 View Post
Thanks Scotty. I watched a video and it shows that there will always be a small spark while the internal capacitor gets its initial charge. But who knows as the guy hooked up the negative then positive side.
right as long as it is on... not when it is switched. The spark is telling you that it is drawing power ... as in right now as we sit here, drawing power... hence the need for either an internal or external relay or appropriate switch.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
Nate
Gone Wild

Ah, this is a 48 volt to 12 volt DC to DC converter for accessories. I was thinking it was a DC to AC inverter. I would do what Scottyb recommends, the CC solenoid will be more than enough to handle the amperage of this converter and can be hooked up to the cart's 48 volt system. Control the solenoid by a switch or the key.
If you leave if hooked up and store your cart you will come back to dead batteries.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Makes a ton of sense guys. The previous owner has created a rats nest of wiring and has all the accessories powered by the headlight switch rather than the key.

Since I just got approval from the wife about adding in a stereo (which will require a new dashboard of course), I think I am just going to redo all the wiring and make it off the key switch and add in rockers for added future ability.

Scotty, do you have a relay you would recommend (being a seller here?)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I recommend you purchase the start relay for a club car charger. We do not sell these, they are an OEM part.
We sell a DC reducer with a built-in relay and a key switch activation wire. Thank you for asking
Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scotty and Nate, you guys have been a tremendous help. I feel like I am monopolizing your time. One last silly question. In looking around for a relay, I am coming up with different amp models. I see a 400 amp continuous/1,000 amp peak, 200 cont/800 peak, 100 cont/400 peak. I can't imagine I will ever be looking at adding more than 30 amps to the switched circuit. I think the 200/800 will be just fine. Thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car