lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
1st_redeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default what's the battery light telling me??

I have a 2003 48-volt series Club Car with 6 8-volt Trojan batteries. I've used the cart several times over the last month or so, but for the most part, it just sits in the garage plugged into the charger. Tonight, when I came home, I saw the yellow/amber battery light going on & going off. I watched long enough to realize there was a definite pattern to the light: OFF for 5 seconds, ON for 5 seconds, OFF for 5 seconds, ON for 25 seconds - then repeat. I checked the batteries & here are those readings: #1-7.91V; #2-7.54V; #3-7.89V; #4-7.91V; #5-7.81V; #6-7.86V; across the whole pack-46.5V. The water was OK in all, maybe a little low in #1, but nothing drastic. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I also have a Battery Life Saver de-sulfator hooked up to the battery pack.

So, my question is: can anybody tell me what's going on?? do I need new batteries?? is the reading on #2 low enough to be concerned??

Thanks for any help - John
1st_redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: what's the battery light telling me??

All of your batteries are dead. A fully charged 8v battery should read 8.49v, and a 48v pack should read 50.93v. Your charger is not working, OR, the batteries are no longer accepting a charge. A good hydrometer will confirm their chemical state. How old are the batteries?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum 1st_redeye.....................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
1st_redeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm sure the batteries are original equipment, so 5 years old I'd say. I have noticed the last couple of times out, when I park it & plug in the charger, it doesn't kick on, at least not when I'm watching (it used to in the beginning). But it was a golf course fleet cart & I figured the Trojans were well taken care of & should last 7-8 years with a little TLC...

So if I get a good hygrometer, what should the readings be for a healthy battery?? I'm assuming (there I go again) the results can be used to tell if it's the batteries or charger at fault - right??
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Golf course carts get used a whole lot more than personal carts. Three rounds a day, seven days a week, can take it's toll on a battery pack. I can check on hydrometer readings later today when I get home. There is a code stamped on the neg. terminals of Trojan batteries that indicates date of manufacture. C3 would be March 2003. Also, some courses protect their investments by maintaining their carts, and some courses figure the carts are leased so why bother.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_redeye View Post
I'm sure the batteries are original equipment, so 5 years old I'd say. I have noticed the last couple of times out, when I park it & plug in the charger, it doesn't kick on, at least not when I'm watching (it used to in the beginning). But it was a golf course fleet cart & I figured the Trojans were well taken care of & should last 7-8 years with a little TLC...

So if I get a good hygrometer, what should the readings be for a healthy battery?? I'm assuming (there I go again) the results can be used to tell if it's the batteries or charger at fault - right??
At 100% charge (8.49v) and temp corrected to 80* SG s/b 1.277 +/-.007

When you plug your charger in, monitor the pack voltage after you hear the charger start. You should see the voltage increase on your meter. A simple check to make sure charger has output.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
1st_redeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did some testing last night with a hydrometer and, at most, I could float 1 ball, sometimes none. The code stamped on the batteries is J2 which, if that means Jan 2002, leaves the batteries closing on 7 years old...so, I guess a new battery pack is in order.

Thanks for all the help...John
Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_redeye View Post
I did some testing last night with a hydrometer and, at most, I could float 1 ball, sometimes none. The code stamped on the batteries is J2 which, if that means Jan 2002, leaves the batteries closing on 7 years old...so, I guess a new battery pack is in order.

Thanks for all the help...John
A J2 date code would be October 2002, J being the 10th letter of the alphabet.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car