lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
mopar92
Gone Wild

Default 89 EZGO starting up help

Picked up an ultra clean and otherwise good looking and running cart today. It runs great, but it seems like it takes a lot of gas pedal travel and a few seconds before it fires if I am doing stop and goes between chores. Runs great too... I hope we didnt pay to much. We're on a budget and needed something for the farm. It's real clean and straight with decent tires and as I said, runs good. Has new seats and backs. We paid $1200 for it. I really wanted a 4 cycle, but i'm not finding anything worth owning for under $1400.
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO starting up help

that sounds like you got a pretty good deal, although most would go for a shade under 1000. My 89 didnt fire off instantly either......my 97 sometimes does the same thing. Keep an eye on it and enjoy not spending any more money while you can. On the other hand, you could always look thru craiglist and find a 4 stroke that needs a little work for about the same money and have fun tricking it out. I traded my 89 and paid 1400 for my 97 you se in my avatar.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

does that have a choke.if so try that.tell us what happens?
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
mopar92
Gone Wild

The choke works well. Choke cold, when it's hot, no choke needed, but it does take full throttle and a second or two to fire, then when it does, it jerks you back when it revs. Sure wish it were not so on or off.... The belt is real loose, but doesn't seem to slip. It just has a long way to go to engage once running, hence the jerk. How do I take some of this belt slack out!!!?? Also, when I am 1/2 throttle, the engines turning over just fine, but not firing. Any way to regulate what power setting let's it have juice to fire, not just spin? Runs great once you get past the herky jerky starts.... Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you need to adjust the throttle and governor linkages. The methods listed in the txt manual in the tech thread are close to the right way to do that.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
mopar92
Gone Wild

It looks to me like the torque converter spreads too far when it's off... The gap is a solid .5" wider than the belt, hence it's got a long way to go just to grab the belt. This sound right?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

the front drive clutch will have some space in there at rest. check the width of your belt and adjust throttle and governor. belt should be 1 1/16 " wide. the drive clutch sheaves if old will wear valleys in them and cause it to grab funny like that too.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
mopar92
Gone Wild

After riding the cart more yesterday, I think I can help diagnose better. It almost seems like I need to adjust the kill switch on the gas pedal to let the motor run at a lower rpm without killing spark. I mean it's turning good rpms, enough to move the cart, then you move the gas down a hair more, and she lights right of and lunges forward at 2000 rpms!!! I just need to know how to adjust that out of it...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
mopar92
Gone Wild

Also how do I adjust the belt tension?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
Sounds like you need to adjust the throttle and governor linkages. The methods listed in the txt manual in the tech thread are close to the right way to do that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there is no tension adjustment, measure and replace the belt if necessary. how wide is the belt now? Are the sheaves worn on the clutch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO