lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Wiring precedent turn signal into 1998 DS harness (gettin' horn)

So I have another problem. I'm trying to connect my horn to a turn signal assembly so I got the Precedent setup with the horn in the lever. Cool setup, has a button you push on the end of the lever for the horn. Here is how my old turn signal wiring was set up:

red---> brake light switch
yellow--->L front turn
green---->R front turn
white---->ground
brown---->R tail turn
orange--->L tail turn
black---->load on 3 prong flasher
blue-----> P on flasher (says it powers blue indicator light...never did though)

The precedent setup has these wires:
green
red
white
blue
black
gray
gray/black
yellow----->load on 2 prong flasher
brown----->X on flasher

I've been working on this but can't quite get it. Anyone know the layout of these precedent wires? I was thinking white has to remain ground and tried connecting old black (load) to precedent yellow (also load) then pressed the horn switch and looked for a current... nada.
Help?
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring precedent turn signal into 1998 DS harness (gettin' horn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extractor View Post
So I have another problem. I'm trying to connect my horn to a turn signal assembly so I got the Precedent setup with the horn in the lever. Cool setup, has a button you push on the end of the lever for the horn. Here is how my old turn signal wiring was set up:

red---> brake light switch
yellow--->L front turn
green---->R front turn
white---->ground
brown---->R tail turn
orange--->L tail turn
black---->load on 3 prong flasher
blue-----> P on flasher (says it powers blue indicator light...never did though)

The precedent setup has these wires:
green
red
white
blue
black
gray
gray/black
yellow----->load on 2 prong flasher
brown----->X on flasher

I've been working on this but can't quite get it. Anyone know the layout of these precedent wires? I was thinking white has to remain ground and tried connecting old black (load) to precedent yellow (also load) then pressed the horn switch and looked for a current... nada.
Help?
I have 2 brown leads coming from the horn/turn signal and a yellow, all of which go to the flasher. I'm afraid to take down my dash again because of the wiring mess I have behind it with everything I've added, (2 gauges, 2 switches, 1 alarm with relays and a power port as well as changing out the main ignition switch.) Using an ohm meter you can test the leads for a connection by pushing the horn button, turn signals and emergency flasher button while testing different wire combinations until you find which one does what including the main power feed wire since that would be the most common on all tests.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0920.jpg (86.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0921.jpg (91.0 KB, 40 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
scubabud

Club Car

This is the wiring layout for a 05-06 Precedent and shows the connections to 12 postition connector used to plug into your turn signal assembly, (almost.) I believe mine then goes to another connector since it is turn signals and horn as well. The Blue wire looks like it is the Power wire since it shows a 10amp fuse. The blk-wht wire matches with the grey black in my picture and you can see that the 2 brown leads as well as the yellow lead do not plug into the connector since they're separate and go directly to the flasher unit. I hope this helps you somewhat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05-06 Precedent.jpg (73.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 05-06 Precedent B.jpg (42.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Scubabud... I'm on it, just needed a starting point (like that blue wire).
Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

OK extrractor, lucky for you I had coffee and am not tired so I went and dropped my dash and heres what I have checking with a meter...You have the same lever setup

green -- l/f directional
red------r/f directional
white----r/rear brake and turn
gray-----l/rear brake and turn
gray/blk.--signal from brake switch 12V
blue------horn signal 12V
brown----12V hot at all times
black-----ground wire tied into all other grounds

If you need more info..I will be watching this post---this is off a 07 precedent we just installed a light kit in and is in my garage if you need more
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
OK extrractor, lucky for you I had coffee and am not tired so I went and dropped my dash and heres what I have checking with a meter...You have the same lever setup

green -- l/f directional
red------r/f directional
white----r/rear brake and turn
gray-----l/rear brake and turn
gray/blk.--signal from brake switch 12V
blue------horn signal 12V
brown----12V hot at all times
black-----ground wire tied into all other grounds

If you need more info..I will be watching this post---this is off a 07 precedent we just installed a light kit in and is in my garage if you need more
OK, ya made me do it just to see, dash is now down! The picture of the 05-06 Precedent wiring is correct but as I also stated mine has an additional connection/jumper leads that then connects to the turn signal assembly as well as my light switch. Here are my connections, on the Left is from Turn Signal Assembly & on the Right is from the connection jumper going from the cart 12 pin connector then reduced to a 9 pin connector with some of those wires spliced into others as well. You can see the jumper wire harness, (the 9 pin connector on the left and the 12 pin connector on the right,) in my pictures from my first post:

Black - Black = ground lead
Gry/Blk - Wht/Blk
Grey - White
Blue - Orange=Horn
White - Yellow
Green - Green
Red - Red
Brown - Blue/White 12+

Yellow (separate from the 9 pin) - Flasher
Brown (separate from the 9 pin) - Flasher

The Brown wire takes a turn and goes to both the Signal Assembly and also the Flasher unit.

Bottom line is Oxfordlawn is correct that the 12+ is the brown lead on the signal assembly and the lead going to the horn should be the blue lead. I've just added the other brown & yellow lead that is separate from the 9 pin. Tomorrow I'll put the dash back together!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Yeah the wire colors I posted were on the Turn signal lever harness side of the 9 pin connector. One or two of the wire colors changed on the other side of that connector, but I am pretty confident he has the same lever assembly installed...I sent it to him so thats why I was posting the wire colors on the lever side of the harness connector. I honestly didn't look at the diagrams that were posted, as these are not CC factory parts and Im not confident in China wire color translations.

later added : I just went out and looked--yeah I have a couple different colors than Scuba on the mian harness side of the turn signal 9 pin connector...So Scubabud--I would be interested in seeing if you get the same signals at the same wire colors on the t/s lever side color wires of the 9 pin connnector..That would be a good tellall for Extractor.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Yeah the wire colors I posted were on the Turn signal lever harness side of the 9 pin connector. One or two of the wire colors changed on the other side of that connector, but I am pretty confident he has the same lever assembly installed...I sent it to him so thats why I was posting the wire colors on the lever side of the harness connector. I honestly didn't look at the diagrams that were posted, as these are not CC factory parts and Im not confident in China wire color translations.
Your wire colors are exactly the same as the factory Turn Signal Assembly that I have so China got it RIGHT!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
scubabud

Club Car

Oxfordlawn said:
later added : I just went out and looked--yeah I have a couple different colors than Scuba on the mian harness side of the turn signal 9 pin connector...So Scubabud--I would be interested in seeing if you get the same signals at the same wire colors on the t/s lever side color wires of the 9 pin connnector..That would be a good tellall for Extractor.

Both of our turn signal assembly’s have the same color wiring. The only thing different might be the harness that they plug into and Extractors might be different as well since he doesn’t have a Precedent. He just has to know what does what to splice into his connector and he could also check with an Ohm meter what does what. The only testing I did was the flasher assembly (HOT), (brown stayed constant hot while the yellow lead went on and off as the turn signals were operating and when I disconnected the connector I tested the horn button using an ohm meter,(no power,) with the Brown and Blue lead showing they were correct. My power from my 9 Pin was a Blue & white wire that connected to the Brown wire of the Assembly.

I just put my dash back together, I have to tuck the flasher, connectors and extra wiring just so to get it to go back in place without crushing or screwing into any wires… takes quite a few tries… so you’re not gonna make me do it again!!! I hope!!!! LOL
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, guys! I've got all the wires spliced and ready to go. I'll hook them up tonight. Can't wait to start using that horn. RIght now the horn button is zip tied under the left front wheel well so to honk at someone I have to stop, get out, contort myself under the wheel well, then push the button... it loses its effectiveness at that point!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car