lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
jackems
Not Yet Wild

Default lithium conversions

Please tell me where to start learning about lithium conversions
48v for my Bad Boy, does anyone make a kit?
jackems is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: lithium conversions

Wow. That's a "loaded question."

You may want to go to the lithium only forums and just read the Q&A on the builds.

The "easy way" ....albeit more expensive way to change to lithium is to look at installing the Trojan Trillium lithium batteries. A more costly option, but from what I've read it's a "drop 'n ride" install.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
Ribfeast
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I just went to Lithium in my Toro Workman MDE.

I'd highly recommend thoroughly reading and absorbing the lithium battery information on the Nordkyn Design website.

My conversion is documented over at endless-sphere. In due course I might re-do it over here.

Long story short you'll need around $3-4k to do it properly.
I used:
16x CALB CA100 LiFePO4 cells, making a 5.2kWh pack. CA180's are too tall I believe, and you don't need them.
2 contactors - one for low voltage cutout and/or overcurrent cutout, other for high voltage/overcharge cutout. One will need to be rated for decent current, ie 300-400A+
Battery management system. I used a Zeva BMS16v2 with the optional screen.
500A shunt - connects to the BMS to tell it when you are charging/discharging etc
A decent sized class T fuse in the battery bank
A compression style battery box to clamp the cells together so they don't swell, I made one at home

If you want crazy current/performance then maybe look at NCM battery chemisty instead of LiFePO4, however this will require less cells than 16.
I dropped around 100-150kg or so by going from lead acid to lithium, I don't need to water batteries anymore, it charges quickly, and goes like a rocket. I can go up steep hills like they aren't there (the screen reads like 300A when I do!)
It's just better in every way than lead acid.
Ribfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribfeast View Post
I just went to Lithium in my Toro Workman MDE.

I'd highly recommend thoroughly reading and absorbing the lithium battery information on the Nordkyn Design website.

My conversion is documented over at endless-sphere. In due course I might re-do it over here.

Long story short you'll need around $3-4k to do it properly.
I used:
16x CALB CA100 LiFePO4 cells, making a 5.2kWh pack. CA180's are too tall I believe, and you don't need them.
2 contactors - one for low voltage cutout and/or overcurrent cutout, other for high voltage/overcharge cutout. One will need to be rated for decent current, ie 300-400A+
Battery management system. I used a Zeva BMS16v2 with the optional screen.
500A shunt - connects to the BMS to tell it when you are charging/discharging etc
A decent sized class T fuse in the battery bank
A compression style battery box to clamp the cells together so they don't swell, I made one at home

If you want crazy current/performance then maybe look at NCM battery chemisty instead of LiFePO4, however this will require less cells than 16.
I dropped around 100-150kg or so by going from lead acid to lithium, I don't need to water batteries anymore, it charges quickly, and goes like a rocket. I can go up steep hills like they aren't there (the screen reads like 300A when I do!)
It's just better in every way than lead acid.

Not true.

It can be done for around $1500-$2000 with quality components.

Like DaveTM stated, read through the 'All Things Lithium' Sub-forum and various other lithium sub-forms to get an idea of what members are using for their conversions. Some threads list prices paid for the components they used.

Good luck
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
jackems
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
jackems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Ribfeast
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

My price was in Aussie pesos :)
Batteries alone were 2500 but that was new, if you can get Leaf modules or batteries from another affordable source it will slash the costs.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Cost me 1500, bigest expenses was the zeva order around 400 and the 7 modules 512 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
Ribfeast
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Good score, for that price you'd never bother replacing the lead acid batteries with more lead acid. In Aus the Trojan T105's are $259-299 each, putting the total replacement cost on par with what some of you paid for your lithium conversions.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium