lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lowering roof on Precedent

Have a friend with a precedent that has a very low garage opening and has to find a way to lower his cart top temporarily to put it in the garage and then put it back up for use. I remember someone put out a thread about how to lay the roof back and then raise it again when in use. Does anyone remember that thread or have any fresh ideas?
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lowering roof on Precedent

What about putting hinges on back of all 4 supports so it could be tilted back and lowered? You could somehow bolt solid plates across the split on the opposite sides of the hinge to lock it in place when you need it back up and secure. Or another idea - find some channel to fit snugly inside of the roof support channels. Cut each support and pin, weld, or bolt the smaller channel permanently on the lower side and secure the top channel joint with a cotter pin of sorts so its easy off when you need. Just a couple thoughts...
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 AM   #3
zookie2002
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Another thought would be to let air out of the tires. But that would get tiresome rather quickly.
zookie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Here's what I did. I bought some 1" steel stock and some bolts. I cut the stock to about 9 inches and placed it on each side of each upright. Then I drilled three holes through the stock and upright. One on the top, bottom, and middle. Then I took the flat stock off and used a sawzall to cut each support diagonally down backwards. The middle bolt in each upright is held on with a wing nut. When I need to get the cart in the garage or toy hauler, I take the middle bolt out of each and pull the roof back and down. The strap steel is like a hinge and the top drops to about 60". Oh I also put nylon washers in between the strap steel and uprights so it didn't rattle. When its in the up position it is just as solid as it was before. I'll see if I have a pic that may explain it a bit better.
ecaldwell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Here's a pic. Total cost about 25 bucks. In this pic the roof isn't down as low as it can go. Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg club car roof.jpg (191.7 KB, 0 views)
ecaldwell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys...looks like an easy solution...
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaldwell78 View Post
Here's a pic. Total cost about 25 bucks. In this pic the roof isn't down as low as it can go. Hope this helps!
That's what I did with mine. Worked great to get in into my last toy hauler. There's a couple really good youtube videos on the procedure. Make sure you make the cuts on the supports at an angle as shown.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
camp inglewood
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What about the 2015 precedent with the rear rain gutters? Can these be cut or can the original supports be replaced with universal supports that can be modified? I have a 76" cart with a low 61" opening. Have not seen any threads concerning this situation. thanks for any help.
camp inglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp inglewood View Post
What about the 2015 precedent with the rear rain gutters? Can these be cut or can the original supports be replaced with universal supports that can be modified? I have a 76" cart with a low 61" opening. Have not seen any threads concerning this situation. thanks for any help.
Do you have a rear seat kit?

The plastic uprights are pretty much a no go for modification but most rear seat kits supply you with new steel/aluminum roof supports.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center