lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #191
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 3 Cyl Yanmar in a G16

I was off from work today and got a little bit more work done on my top.
I'm using 1" aluminum pipe for the frame and it comes in 12' lengths and I couldn't get the top frame made in one piece so I had to make it in two halves and weld it together.
Once I had the frame welded, I made to cross members and rolled a crown in them so that when I put the canvas top on the frame, the rain will run off.

I got the risers all bent and made a quick jig up so I know where to notch them to accept the top frame. It may not look like much but it did take me most of the day. With any luck I will be able to get the risers notched for the top tomorrow and get it welded up on Wednesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 327.jpg (139.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 328.jpg (149.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 330.jpg (124.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 331.jpg (141.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 335.jpg (140.5 KB, 0 views)
rmack898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #192
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had a half day off from work today and got a lot done.

I made the bushings to hold the top to the risers.
I got the top tacked and completely welded to the risers and made up some gusset tubes out of 3/4" pipe to help support the top.

That's the last of what I needed to get done before the body goes to paint. Next week I'll get the body off and get it painted. While it's getting painted I have a little bit more of wiring to do. I need to add a temp sensor in the cooling system to control the radiator fan. I also want to make a few changes to the front suspension before I do the final reassembly on the cart.

At this point I think I am only about 2 weeks away from having this thing done although I'm not sure you are ever done with a build like this until you sell it, the longer it sits in my shop, the more things I want to do to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336.jpg (165.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 337.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 339.jpg (166.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 341.jpg (151.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 343.jpg (130.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #193
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I almost forgot, I need to order the Sunbrella fabric and sew the canvas cover for the top.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #194
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

awesome build
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #195
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Very nice work!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #196
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have the template for the canvas top made and the Sunbrella fabric got delivered today.
I have an old industrial sewing machine that was given to me and I had to rewire it and do a minor overhaul of it and have it running nicely. I didn't have any thread so I had to order it and hope it will show up tomorrow.

All I need now is to know how to sew. I have watched more you tube videos than I can count so as soon as my thread shows up I'll take some scraps and practice a little before I attempt to sew my top.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #197
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

OK folks, I know it's been quite some time since I did an update on this build. I've had some bad computer issues but I hoping that I have them all fixed now. The most unfortunate thing is that I lost many pictures of the build.

Now for the update.

The cart made it's debut at bike week in Ocean City, MD 2 weeks ago and it was a blast. I was wrenching till 3am on Tuesday and Wednesday nights finishing up last minute details and I only got to drive the cart down the driveway once before my friend showed up with his truck to take it to the campground. The cart left here on Thursday morning and I didn't see it or hear from my friend until I rolled into the camp ground on Saturday night.
I fully expected to hear that the cart had broke down or that something was wrong with it. When I got off my bike guys I know were coming up to me telling me what a sick ******* I was and how much fin they were having with the cart.

The cart is obnoxiously loud, but that was one of my goals in the build. The clutch and belt set up is perfect. When you mash the go pedal, the front wants to lift, but with the stock gears it takes off before the wheels come off the ground. I'm pretty sure that when I change the gears that wheelie bars might be needed, I'm just not sure if I will put 8:1s or 6:1s in it.

I made new arm rests for it and recovered the seats with the $69 E-bay seat covers and they came out great. The biggest complaint I got was that I didn't install lights on it and they couldn't drive it at night.

I have since bought some LED light bars and will be making a tubular front bumper to install them on. I might also have to consider front disc brakes as once I change the gears, it will be a rocket ship.

I have some video on my wife's phone but I will have to get my son to put it on you tube and then I will post the link here.

It took me forever to build this cart but I'm really happy with how it came out so far.

btw, The camp ground owner told me that if it hadn't been bike week, he would have thrown us out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 803.jpg (216.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 806.jpg (204.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 807.jpg (184.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #198
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Nice. We love frontiertown. I see that's where the pictures were taken. They were concerned about the cart? I've been going there for at least 10 years now and it always sems like you can have anything you want in there. This past year someone had a Honda side x side. Nobody said anything about it.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #199
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
OK folks, I know it's been quite some time since I did an update on this build. I've had some bad computer issues but I hoping that I have them all fixed now. The most unfortunate thing is that I lost many pictures of the build.

Now for the update.

The cart made it's debut at bike week in Ocean City, MD 2 weeks ago and it was a blast. I was wrenching till 3am on Tuesday and Wednesday nights finishing up last minute details and I only got to drive the cart down the driveway once before my friend showed up with his truck to take it to the campground. The cart left here on Thursday morning and I didn't see it or hear from my friend until I rolled into the camp ground on Saturday night.
I fully expected to hear that the cart had broke down or that something was wrong with it. When I got off my bike guys I know were coming up to me telling me what a sick ******* I was and how much fin they were having with the cart.

The cart is obnoxiously loud, but that was one of my goals in the build. The clutch and belt set up is perfect. When you mash the go pedal, the front wants to lift, but with the stock gears it takes off before the wheels come off the ground. I'm pretty sure that when I change the gears that wheelie bars might be needed, I'm just not sure if I will put 8:1s or 6:1s in it.

I made new arm rests for it and recovered the seats with the $69 E-bay seat covers and they came out great. The biggest complaint I got was that I didn't install lights on it and they couldn't drive it at night.

I have since bought some LED light bars and will be making a tubular front bumper to install them on. I might also have to consider front disc brakes as once I change the gears, it will be a rocket ship.

I have some video on my wife's phone but I will have to get my son to put it on you tube and then I will post the link here.

It took me forever to build this cart but I'm really happy with how it came out so far.

btw, The camp ground owner told me that if it hadn't been bike week, he would have thrown us out
WOW What a build.Glad you got it done.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps