lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
nick731
Getting Wild

Default VOLT METER INSTALL...can i just replace the battery light indicator?

hey guys, i was just wondering if i could replace the battery light indicator with the volt meter, using the indicators existing lighting etc. thanks! Nick
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: VOLT METER INSTALL...can i just replace the battery light indicator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick731 View Post
hey guys, i was just wondering if i could replace the battery light indicator with the volt meter, using the indicators existing lighting etc. thanks! Nick
Why...depending on your cart there should be 2 wires available next to your warning light that are to be used for a meter. Even most plastic panels show a rectangle cutout area where that meter would go.

What year cart... DS or IQ...
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
nick731
Getting Wild

Default Re: VOLT METER INSTALL...can i just replace the battery light indicator?

hey scub,
thanks for the help! its a 2001 club car DS. i took the panel off and say two wires connected to something behind the dash...dont know what it is...not sure if those are the wires that you are speaking of.. and just for wondering sake could you indeed just replace the indicator wires and it work correctly? thanks again! nick
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

the indicator is just a light bulb and a lense (and in some cases, also a IR transmitter). a signal is sent to the bulb from the OBC when it needs to indicate a problem. a volt meter needs to see pack + and pack - (at a minimum) to work. so chances are, you would be able to use one of the two wires, but not both.

so in a nutshell, the meter is not a direct drop-in replacement for the bulb.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick731 View Post
hey scub,
thanks for the help! its a 2001 club car DS. i took the panel off and say two wires connected to something behind the dash...dont know what it is...not sure if those are the wires that you are speaking of.. and just for wondering sake could you indeed just replace the indicator wires and it work correctly? thanks again! nick
The 2 wires I'm speaking about are shown in the picture I took from another thread, (picture is from a Precedent.) They are black with a white stripe and red. They also have, in this picture, wires attached, but that is not normally the case unless they're connected to a meter. There should be a constance 48 volts from them, key on or off. Again this is inside a Precedent dash not a DS. Your key switch will be a 48 volt source on it's hot side or once the key is on for the other side. You could use that as well as finding a constant ground.

Do you have anything similiar in your DS dash?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside precedent dash.jpg (241.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

SB, i might be wrong but i don,t beleive i have ever seen those 2 extra wires on a DS ...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
SB, i might be wrong but i don,t beleive i have ever seen those 2 extra wires on a DS ...........................
Thanks Tom... I didn't know if CC included this on their DS carts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car