lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Clubcar golf cart just died

Sniffing around under the seat, the strongest smell of burnt thermoset plastic is in the area of the controller. I say this with only 60% confidence, since the incident that ending the carts running happened two days ago. I do not SEE any burnt wires or discolored conections. Two fuses in the area are good.

With the back wheels off the ground, I checked the the solenoid by waiting until it clicked (run mode, Forward, hit throttle, solenoid clicks), and then I shorted across high current posts with a big screwdriver. The posts are very close to each other. No change, no motor. The headlights are bright, and I still show 50 volts across the whole battery pack.

Does anyone know if the Curtis controller I identified above is original equipment or aftermarket?
rm32644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sounds like a controller issue to me... the numbers you listed are for a stock controller.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Are the used controllers on Ebay for about $190 a bad risk?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

The same thing happened to me before and it was a controller. Everything on Ebay is a risk but if you can talk to the seller, most of those are taken off of stock carts for a bigger controller upgrade and would be fine but who knows what you are getting. I personally would just buy a new one with a warranty but i'm not a gambler.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m betting they smoked the controller.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
The same thing happened to me before and it was a controller. Everything on Ebay is a risk but if you can talk to the seller, most of those are taken off of stock carts for a bigger controller upgrade and would be fine but who knows what you are getting. I personally would just buy a new one with a warranty but i'm not a gambler.
I agree, but FYI most dealers will not give a warranty at all with any electronic parts unless they do the installation.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Do you think the 250 amp rating on the stock controller is adequate? My friend was going up a hill when it stopped. It's a big step from a used controller on Ebay for $190 to a new Curtis controller for $500, unless I am not aware of some better deals out there.

Has anyone ever fixed a controller by taking it apart and installing new Mosfets?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm32644 View Post
Do you think the 250 amp rating on the stock controller is adequate? My friend was going up a hill when it stopped. It's a big step from a used controller on Ebay for $190 to a new Curtis controller for $500, unless I am not aware of some better deals out there.

Has anyone ever fixed a controller by taking it apart and installing new Mosfets?
Yes I think it's plenty adequate... Used works fine, if it's a good part. There's really nothing written in stone as to how long it will last, but that stands true for new electronics as well. I've never personally repaired one of these controllers but I'm sure someone out there has. There's plenty of electronics companies who remanufacture these things and sell them. I'd love to know how to do it. It would be a wonderful way to add a little extra cash to my pocket.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car