lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
BLWN BUX
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V motor on 72V??

What happends if you apply 72V to the stock 36V motor?

RPM should be safe,

I saw the 168V cart on Youtube
I would go into debt for somthing like that.

NO NO EZGO has currently got me sold on a DD6531 and a DCX500 on 48
I have a 36V with Coils now, so I have to change everything.
I will be going this rought unless sombody talks me into somthing better

Would a 72V be better??

BTW: I took a ride in a AC/DC. I was NOT impressed. 27mph for $4000
If I spend $4000 this thing better launch
BLWN BUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: 36V motor on 72V??

Just as a follow up, it's a D&D ES6551, I think. That may be an old-style Yamaha and Club Car motor though. I'm sure they have the same motor with mounts for an E-Z-GO Dana differential though. That may be what you're speaking of.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

It will work but how long it will work is another question. Muaythia has been running 72 volts for quite a while on his 36 volt motor. He doesn't abuse it but when he needs to 'go' its "GOES". Keeping the PRMs down or at least not very long at high rpm's IMO is the key to a long(er) life with higher voltage on low (36 volt) motors.

I wouldn't buy a DCX controller simply because the motors cost more to upgrade. Maybe a Series style Alltrax 72 volt controller with a good motor like a beast motor. A beast motor on 72 volts will snap your neck and last longer on 72 volts. Only because that motor is built for low speed torque. I think it runs 2100 or so on 36 volts....72 volts will give you around 4200. 4200 rpm's keeps the rpm limits in check.

Converting to a PB-6 throttle is fairly staright forward if you can fabricate a little.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

I know any GE motor is built to work up to 96v & 10,000 RPM... I just asked my supplier today about them..
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

That 168 volt cart of Nates has a specially built motor. Its designed to run on higher voltages.

Swapping in an alltrax or other controller is easy. You could buy a newer variable resistor v-glide assembly which bolts in the same as a resistor coil carts v-glide. Only thing about that is the throttle isn't as smooth as a PB-6. If you opt for 72 volts keep in mind you need a 72 volt solenoid or just buy a czonka relay.

Be sure and look at all your options out there.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
I know any GE motor is built to work up to 96v & 10,000 RPM... I just asked my supplier today about them..

Did you ask him how long it will run at 10,000 rpm? I've hit 9600 a few times but for just a few seconds.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

that is what they are designed to do... so they should be able to hold that?

I was asking because I'm toying around with the idea of making a 72v cart, and wanted to see what motor to use.

I don't do most of the ordering, but when I talk to them again, I'll bring it up for you...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
that is what they are designed to do... so they should be able to hold that?

I was asking because I'm toying around with the idea of making a 72v cart, and wanted to see what motor to use.

I don't do most of the ordering, but when I talk to them again, I'll bring it up for you...
Please do. If they are designed to HOLD that kind of RPM then they would not grenade. I have seen motors grenade turning less rpm's than that running 72 volts. In theory these motor have and extreme RPM potential but in "real world" thats not the case. Running wide open at those rpm's for minutes on end is not reccomended. I think your supplier is blowing smoke up your a$$ to make a sale, if not then that will be the next motor I buy.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

From what I understand they are overbuilt, So the chance of them blowing up on 36 or 48v is slim to none at all... I would imagine as with all things, the more RPM, and more voltage the more chance of grenading.... I'll talk to them...

(My supplier gets plenty of money from us, and have for the last 20 years, they won't blow smoke)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
From what I understand they are overbuilt, So the chance of them blowing up on 36 or 48v is slim to none at all...
For 36-48 volts you are correct. And you are also correct about them being overbuilt. I would like to see an off the shelf production motor run 96 volts@10,000 rpm and "hold" that rpm.

The question was 36 volt motors on 72 volts not 96@10,000. Yes 72 will hold up if not abused, even more for that matter. We run 108 volts but dont push our luck.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!