lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
daytriper
Not Yet Wild

Default What motor?

I would like to know what 8" lift kit is the best for a 91 club car. I have a a arm on my current cart but I would like to know if this is the most stable and rugged. My wife and family will be driving this car. She wants a 24 hp honda or the 23 briggs engine in it. Due to the hills in the area it will be used, I will like to be able to maintain 20 mph on steep grades. I would like to use 22 inch tires with the maximum offset for stability. Will this cart be reliable with the honda or briggs motor.

Should I go with taller tires. What exhaust should I use? I would like this cart to be quiet. Where should I get my clutches and engine and what manufacturer for the lift kit? I would appreciate anyone's input. And does anyone know if there are after market brakes for the front tires? note any and all info would be apprecated Thank you for reading my thread....
daytriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: What motor?

Personally, on an 8" lift, I wouldn't go any less than 24" tires.
I know they're more money, but you'll be thankful when you see how sweet it looks.

Lift kits... if you're looking for maximum stability, you're going to want a long travel kit. The A-arms are OK, but they're not true A-arms. I know that Tom@Dixie Sales has a cart that will run 60mph and he has a 6 or 8" All-Sports A-arm lift on it.

I give my vote to the Briggs engine all the way and then some. Honda makes good engines, for the most part, but they're not suited to carts very well. You can get a kit from Cart Parts Plus for this swap.

Your rear end and entire cart will take the power, so don't worry about that. The only thing you will have to worry about with a Big Block is keeping your shorts cleaned out.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Welcome Daytriper. Glad you took me up on my invitation and joined us here. Like I told you, you will get lots of help here from some very knowledgeable people... and they will send you to the right people to help you get what you need for your cart.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I would vote for the Briggs.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
daytriper
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys so I looked in to Cart Parts Plus they have the motor but no mounting plate if any one has done this to a 91 club car and has a the dimentions of said plate It would save me a lot of work.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO! View Post
Personally, on an 8" lift, I wouldn't go any less than 24" tires.
I know they're more money, but you'll be thankful when you see how sweet it looks.

Lift kits... if you're looking for maximum stability, you're going to want a long travel kit. The A-arms are OK, but they're not true A-arms. I know that Tom@Dixie Sales has a cart that will run 60mph and he has a 6 or 8" All-Sports A-arm lift on it.

I give my vote to the Briggs engine all the way and then some. Honda makes good engines, for the most part, but they're not suited to carts very well. You can get a kit from Cart Parts Plus for this swap.

Your rear end and entire cart will take the power, so don't worry about that. The only thing you will have to worry about with a Big Block is keeping your shorts cleaned out.
I agree about cleaning your shorts LOL!!!!!
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytriper View Post
Thanks guys so I looked in to Cart Parts Plus they have the motor but no mounting plate if any one has done this to a 91 club car and has a the dimentions of said plate It would save me a lot of work.
If I remember correctly, the only difference between the mounting plates on the 1991s vs. the 1992-1996 is the location at which the holes are drilled. Call Cart Parts Plus and talk to Tom himself. He'll know for sure and steer you in the best direction possible. 1.888.861.2640
Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
daytriper
Not Yet Wild

Once again I have already talked to Tom at Cart Parts Plus and he will not make a kit for my cart for 23 hp I talked to him myself. He will sell me the cluch and the engine that is it.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
daytriper
Not Yet Wild

If I was to use the standard a arm lift kit 8 inch with 2 inch spacers would this help in stability? Would this be a problem with the hubs and control? I would like to get the fully worked up motor from cart parts plus so I have to save $ some where.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I think just the A-arm lift will give you pretty good stability, but the spacers should help a little too. Just stay away from BU spacers, they're cheap as heck!

Seeing as how the kits for the Big Blocks come with literally everything you need for the conversion, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a 1991 cart. The only electrical thing you retain is the solenoid. It may mount in the engine cradle a little differently, but other than that I think you could make it work with a minuscule amount of modification.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!