lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Install Help on Digital Battery Meter

I have a digital readout battery voltage meter I plan to use to monitor batteries SoC on a 1991 Marathon 36v. The meter has 1 black and 1 red wire. Can I just install black on last negative terminal and red to hot side of key switch? I have also read where these should be wired straight to the + and - terminals of the batteries although that would seem to ensure that the meter stays lit all the time which doesn't sound desirable.
Appreciate the assistance
Rainman4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Straight to the terminals would be the most accurate. You can do like you said. Either way would be fine, it's not going to draw enough amps to hurt that battery pack if it stays on all the time.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Install Help on Digital Battery Meter

Rainman......there are plenty of people that have done both ways that you mentioned, and both are correct way to do it, its really more of a preference. If you chose the method where its on all the time, as mgray70 mentioned, the tiny leds don't draw hardly any amps and won't hurt a thing.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great.... thanks mgray70 and Sir Nuke for taking time to respond. Its installed and ready to roll!
Rainman4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In some drive systems, the keyswitch does not have voltage going to it unless the F/R is in either F or R, so the meter flickers off and then back on when you shift directions. Other that that, either way works fine.

As long as the control wiring to the keyswitch and the contacts of any switch that precedes it are in good electrical condition, the voltage at the keyswitch will be within a few millivolts of the voltage at the battery terminals and will give you the same reading on a DVM battery meter, which typically only resolve to 100mV.

The DVM battery meter I have is connected directly to the battery pack and with little exception, has been on 24/7 for 5 years and is still as readable and as accurate as it was when if installed it.

Personally, I find it comforting to glance at the meter whenever I walk by the cart and see the pack voltage is where it is supposed to be. If I had a need for the cart to be completely blacked out, I'd connect it to the keyswitch, but I don't have that need, so I connect it straight to the battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Compared to the normal self discharge, the meter is a very small load so you can connect it directly to the battery system without switching it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Compared to the normal self discharge, the meter is a very small load so you can connect it directly to the battery system without switching it.

Correct!. They will self discharge more than the meter will draw probably.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Diddo on the on for years outdoors test results. The meters are flawless.
I believe you need a 60 of these meters on to equal the pack self discharge rate
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, meter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO