lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
mrose916
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cool Still Smoking

I posted a few weeks ago about my mid 90's G9 gas cart. It has been blowing white smoke on and off since I picked it up. When I got it the crankcase was way overfilled with oil and the air box also had a few inches of in it as well. After asking for some advice here I was told to check the compression. Picked up a tester today and it was about 130-135, is this normal? The cart is still smoking, seems like the longer I run it the more it smokes. Hopefully the muffler has oil in it and it just burning off. Maybe a muffler BBQ? any help would be appreciated. Also it seems like I am losing power too. What can I do to fix this? Possible adjust throttle cable? Not sure if there is a governor or not

Last edited by mrose916; 09-12-2015 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Left something out
mrose916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Still Smoking

Yamahas with miles on them will begin to smoke, but run fine. Reason is, the oil ring goes flat, but the compression ring stays great. Seems a re-ring is in order.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

135 is a little low, not horrible. If smoke has not went away after oil change (& correct level), oil rings are likely done. Re-ring time. You can try the BBQ, but....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Usually I say drain it and add one quart of oil, that is the correct level and you should check the stick and keep it at that level. Ignore the full line on the stick though it should be in the normal range. Run it for a while, try to run it constant for some time to get the muffler hot and burn it out. It should stop smoking. If it continues then likely the rings are bad, Both these guys are correct it is common for the oil ring to give out first. It is normal for the engine to puke extra oil into the airbox and trash the filter. Bad rings will tend to smoke more when you gas on it. You will also see the oil level drop, while a good engine uses just about no oil.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
mrose916
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

After I got it I did drain all of the oil and then added just about a quart of oil and then topped off with a small shot of marvel mystery oil. It is definitely smoking much less then when I got it. But it does still smoke, sometimes more than others.
mrose916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha