lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Made noise, lost power and stopped

It's a 80 model with 244 robin engine with start/gen on crankshaft. I put new cylinder, piston and seals a few months ago and have run about 2 tanks of fuel since then with no problems. Today I was on a little trip at the side of town. Had gone about 3 miles and it started making a louder noise( can't explain, didn't sound like engine) all of a sudden then noise stopped. About 100 yards farther it did it again but longer and it just stopped. I grabbed drive clutch and turned it, engine was free. Then grabbed driven clutch and turned it a little and cart would move as it should. Driven clutch it fairly new by PO. I tried to start it and it started right up. I drove it another mile or so on home no problems. I did drive it a little slower. Got home and in yard I drove it around kinda dogging it, again no problem. What doya think happened? A little history. I bought it about 6 month ago and it has always had a strange noise, doesn't sound like engine. Hard to explain, it's kinda a chatter. I have wondered if that drive clutch makes a noise, however the clutch works good. Any ideas???
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: Made noise, lost power and stopped

Check the rear end for lubricant and raise the unit in rear and remove belt. Then roll the wheels to see if you hear any sounds that would indicate bearing or gear problems
When you say stopped do you mean the engine stopped or a drag on the engine stopped it?
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Check the rear end for lubricant and raise the unit in rear and remove belt. Then roll the wheels to see if you hear any sounds that would indicate bearing or gear problems
When you say stopped do you mean the engine stopped or a drag on the engine stopped it?
I really don't know. I thought it just lost power. My wife thought engine sped up. I know after the first noise and then the second I was so concerned I just can't recall. I do know it wouldn't go, so I suppose engine stopped. My first thought was that something bad happened and engine locked up.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Today I jacked it up and watched the way the clutches work, all normal. I then drive it a couple miles and it worked as nothing is wrong??????????????
Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
redcloud
Gone Wild

Wonder if you may have a loose brake that may lodge and draw down the engine? I would be good to know if the engine rev's up when it stops as that would tell if engine power or loss of power to rear end via clutches. If your brake is sticking you should see a skid line from tire. Keep running it but check the rear end fluid first. Try and make note of what is going on next time it does it.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Will do
Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1002 View Post
Will do
Drove it all weekend, no problems???
Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
redcloud
Gone Wild

Don't you just love intermitin problems that seem to make no sense. Hope all stays that way but it will always be in the back of your mind..can I trust this thing, ha.
I will be watching.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Don't you just love intermitin problems that seem to make no sense. Hope all stays that way but it will always be in the back of your mind..can I trust this thing, ha.
I will be watching.
Another question? In my original I said there has always been a noise I couldn't put my finger on but didn't sound like engine. Anyway I drove it today and it operated perfect. I just can't get my mind off that little noise. I kept pulling and pushing on that drive clutch and I finally found some movement. When I grab the big outside dome shaped part of it, I can wiggle it up and down a little and I can see the movement right where the belt runs. Is that right or should it be tight, no movement?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1002 View Post
Another question? In my original I said there has always been a noise I couldn't put my finger on but didn't sound like engine. Anyway I drove it today and it operated perfect. I just can't get my mind off that little noise. I kept pulling and pushing on that drive clutch and I finally found some movement. When I grab the big outside dome shaped part of it, I can wiggle it up and down a little and I can see the movement right where the belt runs. Is that right or should it be tight, no movement?
A little is ok.... Sounds like your governor was working like it should the upper end RPMs make a rattle noise, and that's the clue that your pushing the engine too hard. If you set the cable clamp on the governed right, it will kick in and pull the RPMs back shortly after it starts to do that.
Bob-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO