lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #41
dvrice
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: precedent light kit, Do i need a reducer?

This may be a dumb question, but I rarely have the need for lights but they would come in handy on those rare occasions. Example would be driving the cart over to a neighbors house and it gets dark and just having headlights to drive home.

I have a 2010 Precedent with the six 8-V batteries. My question is could I avoid the cost of a reducer and just wire either 8V or 16V to either a halogen or LED 12V light kit? Would 8V illuminate a halogen or LED kit and just not be quite as bright? Would 16V burn up a halogen or LED 12V kit immediately?

Just thinking I can get a cheap, basic light kit for $85. The voltage reducers cost as much as the light kit.
dvrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #42
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrice View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I rarely have the need for lights but they would come in handy on those rare occasions. Example would be driving the cart over to a neighbors house and it gets dark and just having headlights to drive home.

I have a 2010 Precedent with the six 8-V batteries. My question is could I avoid the cost of a reducer and just wire either 8V or 16V to either a halogen or LED 12V light kit? Would 8V illuminate a halogen or LED kit and just not be quite as bright? Would 16V burn up a halogen or LED 12V kit immediately?

Just thinking I can get a cheap, basic light kit for $85. The voltage reducers cost as much as the light kit.
This is a 7 year old thread, but to answer your question 8 volts won't give you enough to have much light on a halogen system. 16 volt will eventually blow the bulbs in a halogen system. LED will usually work fine on 16 volts as they can tolerate the extra voltage easily, however the best set for your battery life would be the 48 to 12 volt reducer so that it pulls equally on the pack and not on just 2 batteries.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #43
dvrice
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
This is a 7 year old thread, but to answer your question 8 volts won't give you enough to have much light on a halogen system. 16 volt will eventually blow the bulbs in a halogen system. LED will usually work fine on 16 volts as they can tolerate the extra voltage easily, however the best set for your battery life would be the 48 to 12 volt reducer so that it pulls equally on the pack and not on just 2 batteries.

I appreciate your reply Mgray70. I totally understand the optimum set up is a 48v to 12v reducer to use the full pack to power the lights.

In my situation, I can get a 12V LED light kit for about $85. I would use this very rarely. By rarely, I am saying 10 minutes duration 7 or 8 times per year. I hate to spend the extra money and time mounting a reducer and switch. I am pretty sure this rare usage would have minimal impact on my batteries. My concern is if hooking up 16V to 12V LEDs with burn them out immediately or very fast.

Are you thinking that extra voltage will be okay and not harm the LEDs?

Thank you
Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #44
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrice View Post
I appreciate your reply Mgray70. I totally understand the optimum set up is a 48v to 12v reducer to use the full pack to power the lights.

In my situation, I can get a 12V LED light kit for about $85. I would use this very rarely. By rarely, I am saying 10 minutes duration 7 or 8 times per year. I hate to spend the extra money and time mounting a reducer and switch. I am pretty sure this rare usage would have minimal impact on my batteries. My concern is if hooking up 16V to 12V LEDs with burn them out immediately or very fast.

Are you thinking that extra voltage will be okay and not harm the LEDs?

Thank you
I've never had any issues with the LED on 16 volt. Most LED lights can run on 20+ volts.

mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:26 AM   #45
dvrice
Not Yet Wild

Perfect, thank you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car