lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
georgieb73
Not Yet Wild

Default g2/g9 runs out of fuel after 2 gallons

I have a g2/g9 that is running out of fuel quickly. The first time that this happened i filled the gas tank and it only took ~ 2 gallons of fuel and was full again. Being new to this cart i thought that it has a small tank. The 2nd time that this happened i looked and could see fuel from the fill spout and again the tank only took ~2 gallons of fuel to fill it. I have a few ideas as to what might be going on but wanted to see what others thought could possibly going on.

Do the g2/g9s have a fuel reserve tank with a switch? (maybe its only drawing out of a reserve tank)

Maybe the pick up line has a hole down ~ 2 gallons and once the fuel level gets below that it starts to suck air?

Maybe there is a small hole in one of the fuel lines that is sucking air?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by georgieb73; 06-28-2020 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: more descriptive title
georgieb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: g2/g9 runs out of fuel after 2 gallons

Sounds like a broken pickup tube. But I think the fuel pickup on G2/G9 is at the bottom of the tank, correct? So not sure that's it. Did you remove the fuel filter etc to inspect the pickup?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:20 AM   #3
georgieb73
Not Yet Wild

Yes the feed comes from the bottom. I have not taken the fuel filter yet but a new one is being ordered today to replace the one that is currently installed.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Hey there Georgieb73, the G2/G9 does pick up it's fuel from the bottom of the tank. Being a G2 owner myself, I can take a stab at what your issue may be....

First of all, yes it picks up from bottom of tank. You can see what looks like another gas cap at the bottom of the tank with a small nipple on it that the fuel line connects to. From there it goes to the fuel pump and then to the carburetor.

My guess would be that one of two things is happening or both. 1 your fuel filter is so clogged that once you burn up the first two gallons, there is less pressure (fuel weight) pushing the fuel out of the tank due to the clog. Or, your fuel pump is very weak, and once the first two gallons is gone, there is less pressure from the tank and your fuel pump is not strong enough to pull any more.

Rather than replacing the in-tank filter, I would highly recommend draining the fuel tank. Remove the lower cap which contains the fuel filter and simply remove the fuel filter from that cap. It takes a little work to get all of it out of the cap, but not too bad. screw the cap back on and flush the tank a couple of times with some clean fuel to make sure you get all of the old stuff out. Once you are satisfied that the tank is clean, put everything back together and use an in-line fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump. This way if you have fuel delivery problems in the future you can visually inspect the fuel filter for debris without having to drain the whole tank.

If after doing this, you are still having the same problems, I would look into replacing the fuel pump. Spend the extra couple of dollars and get the OEM Mikuni pump, not some cheap Chinese knock off. I see a lot of threads where people are chasing fuel problems that they would not be chasing if they used OEM parts.

Keep us posted as you go, lots of people here with a lot of knowledge on these carts.

Good luck!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Also, the G2/G9 holds ~6.3 Gallons of fuel FYI.
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
spcurtiss
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I second J Rob, check that filter at the fuel pickup area, and fuel pump. Those go bad and aren’t too tough or involved to replace
spcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
georgieb73
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information guys. I ended up replacing the fuel pump and the fuel filter and everything seems to be working properly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha