lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
Nhjohnny1
Not Yet Wild

Default New G16 owner with clutch questions

Morning all, I just bought a 98 G16 with a 6” Jake’s lift and 22” tires. My question is on the clutching, it needs a carb clean from sitting but I couldn’t even make it up my driveway with it and that’s the easiest part of my property to drive on so I need to address the clutch, I’ve been reading for a few hours now and here’s my questions.
So it appears that the plowmans setup is the best but I’m wondering if I can try a few things first to get me going.
First I was going to clean and lube both clutches but after that.....

- The belt measures 1 3/16 wide, specs on a gates G force say 1 1/4 wide, is this worth trying?

- I see mention of the clocking the spring in the secondary to improve hill climbing, will this help with a stock spring?

- If the answer to the stock spring is no will the Umaxx spring do the job or are the tires to big for that? My property is very hilly so climbing is much more important than top speed

Thanks for any help
Nhjohnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: New G16 owner with clutch questions

First of all, the cart obviously has to run properly for best performance. Clean the carb, check the valves--.004 cold--condition of the clutches is important. Remove the cover from the primary and check the rollers. Are they flat-spotted? Are the secondary sheaves smooth or "dished/cupped"?

The umax spring will work, but if the clutch parts are 20+ years old, Plowmans is the way to go. Really.

Pic is a used, but smooth sheave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49810969276_a5c50504e6_c.jpg (48.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 49810969406_8dd09975f3_m.jpg (11.6 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

A stock golf cart in good running condition should climb any driveway hill. Condition, condition, condition. As Dave said, start with the basics. Don't over think it. Get your running gear in stock operating condition before adding different springs and belts and stuff. Basics.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Nhjohnny1
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info
I cleaned the carb, water in it, oddly it runs better now..... cleaned the primary clutch, it was a little greasy which is good, means it was greased, weights look good.
Secondary clutch I sprayed some penetrant on and greased, sheaves are in good shape but the 3 engaging dogs have grooves in them, they are smooth and the rubber pucks are intact but I’m assuming it’s worn?
Test drive went much better, climbed the driveway But when I tried a steeper hill the belt still slipped at the top. I just picked up a Gates Gforce belt and am going to clean she sheaves.
At this point I’m assuming the secondary is worn and not worth a Umaxx spring? Hopefully the new belt will allow it to make hills until I can get a plowmans setup.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The grooves on the sheave slides cause the sheaves to start out further apart, hindering performance. The new belt might help some. You'll be happy with the Plowmans clutch. His other goodies are nice, too

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_g_16_g_22.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Nhjohnny1
Not Yet Wild

Update, thought the new belt helped, then my wife jumped on it and pffffftttt....
Sweet..... so it may be slightly better but my uneducated guess I’d the secondary isn’t gearing down or not enough, not sure if this is the spring or the grooved sheave or both?
issue number two is Low speed running, it’s still rough, pops, cuts out and sputters however the carb should be clean, mixture screw is at 1 1/2 turns, did I miss something?
I haven’t checked the valves yet, just pull that little cover off?
I was told the fuel was stabilized last year but am wondering if it’s bad enough to cause issues, full tank... of course...

Thanks for all the info so far, fun buggy on flat ground, unfortunately I only own hills...
Old 06-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you had water in the carb, then you have water in the tank. Drain, flush, clean, refill with clean fuel. Drain and clean all fuel lines.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:34 AM   #8
Nhjohnny1
Not Yet Wild

I think your right slonomo, didn’t want to have to try and drain the tank, any good ways to do it?
Here’s where I’m at, pulled the carb back off to confirm clean, it is. I found the vaccume line for the engine to the fuel pump to be suspect so I changed it and also the line from the filter to the pump, other lines looked good. Also the carb butterfly had somehow popped over its stop and was stuck past full throttle, this was weird as I don’t think it could have been that way the whole time but who knows so I popped it back and tweaked the stop arm so it couldn’t do that again then set the idle screw about a 1/4 turn past contact.
Cart ran at slow speeds after that but would stall intermittently, it would go if you floored it but couldn’t maintain slow speed, I turned the idle screw up another 1/4 and the mixture out about a 1/4 with no change.
Sooooo... I’m going to check the lines into the tank and open up the fuel pump, I forgot this machine was built pre ethanol gas so all the lines are likely junk plus,like slonomo said, even though the fuel was stabilized I think it has to go
Thanks again for all the help guys
Old 06-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the fuel has been in the tank more than 6 months, it's probably no good. Gasoline just doesn't last long, even with Stabil. Stabil will get you through the winter, but that's about it. Also, if it's been sitting, water does collect. No way to separate it. It will settle toward the bottom of the tank, but I usually just drain and fill with fresh fuel. Might want to stick a flashlight in there and look to see if there's any debris. It might be wise to remove the tank and wash it out.

You say you cleaned the carb? Did you spray out all the jets with carb cleaner?
Old 06-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #10
Nhjohnny1
Not Yet Wild

I removed the jets, sprayed then compressed air then visual, carb looks way better than my turd G9s but doesn’t run half as well
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha