lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Default Is using a portable recharger possible with Nissan Leaf batteries?

I have a 7 Nissan Leaf setup in a 2014 EZGO 2Five. I was wondering if I could use a portable recharger in case I was ever in a jam and needed a bit of juice to make it home if the low voltage cutoff kicks in. I am thinking of something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&creative=9325

Is this possible or does anyone know of one that would work? It would be purely for emergencies.
bernito is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is using a portable recharger possible with Nissan Leaf batteries?

A lot of us have the charger on board and a 115v plug in place of the cart charge port and carry an extension cord. That’s mine behind the pack in the picture. Adjustments.jpg
This is my charge port:
IMG_3964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by molfpedal View Post
A lot of us have the charger on board and a 115v plug in place of the cart charge port and carry an extension cord. That’s mine behind the pack in the picture. Attachment 202476
This is my charge port:
Attachment 202477

Wrong picture Adjustments.jpg

Old 05-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The AC outlet is only good for 100W. That probably won't run your charger. You could build a 2 amp charger which would consume about 100W while charging a discharged pack. This thing would only run 2 hours at 100W. I don't think it's going to do what you want.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The AC outlet is only good for 100W. That probably won't run your charger. You could build a 2 amp charger which would consume about 100W while charging a discharged pack. This thing would only run 2 hours at 100W. I don't think it's going to do what you want.

That is the outlet for the charge port. It is connected to the on board charger. You plug an extension cord into it and it powers the charger. It is a 15 amp 115v plug. The charger is 15 amps. It is not an onboard 115v source.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by molfpedal View Post
A lot of us have the charger on board and a 115v plug in place of the cart charge port and carry an extension cord. That’s mine behind the pack in the picture. Attachment 202476
This is my charge port:
Attachment 202477

To clarify, my cart uses the stock EZGO 2Five onboard charger that I had reprogrammed to a lithium profile for daily charging. It works well.

I am trying to figure out if there is a portable, rechargeable power source, like the one I linked to, that could be used to recharge the 7 Nissan Leaf batteries in my cart with enough charge for the cart to be drive a mile or so. I really would not need more than a mile’s worth of emergency charge to get my cart home in the event of a low voltage cutoff.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Get one of those 2KW or 2.2KW Honda or Honda clone inverter generators and toss it in the trunk. You can set it on the ground and use it to run your onboard charger for a bit of a charge. Inverter generators are safer for your onboard charger than a plain old generator that varies the frequency a lot as the load changes, and are more compact. I think Harbor Freight even sells a clone one.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
bernito
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Get one of those 2KW or 2.2KW Honda or Honda clone inverter generators and toss it in the trunk. You can set it on the ground and use it to run your onboard charger for a bit of a charge. Inverter generators are safer for your onboard charger than a plain old generator that varies the frequency a lot as the load changes, and are more compact. I think Harbor Freight even sells a clone one.
Thanks Bob, you always provide great guidance!
Old 05-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the same thing in the Christmas parade! I was worried about range so I ran an extension cord from the generator on the float I was pulling to my small onboard charger so it charged the pack while in motion. I was 56.X volts when I started and was 52.X volts when I finished, so it worked well!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO