lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Moostang
Not Yet Wild

Smile 2005 DS GXSR or ATV motor swap

I have a gas 2005 DS that needs a motor rebuild. It is $1200 to rebuild it at a shop. I think I want to put a bigger motor in it. I can get a 1000cc GXSR for $800 or a 400cc Suzuki ATV for $1000. I do not know what is the better option, because I cannot find a rear axle to use for the GXSR swap. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Atmosphere31
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2005 DS GXSR or ATV motor swap

The atv would make it more straight forward, just because it comes with the driveline you'd need. But a gixxer would be a lot more fun [emoji23]. I'm using a straight keyed axle for my ninja 750 to yammy G2 swap. Just gotta make sure it's supported well. Where are you located? I know there's a running GSXR 600 for $300 locally here if you're close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Atmosphere31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

The ATV conversion has its pros and cons. My Honda 350 has all the power I need. Kind of cool people asking how and whys. Easy to do. It goes about 45 mph top end and unloaded. I have hauled 5 people.
Few draw-backs:
*ATV axle width is narrow. Solved by wheels spacers and off-set rims. Hell on the bearings. I replace mine twice a year.

*Motor gets hot under seat. ATV cooling fan keeps it cool under normal conditions.

*ATV charge system 13amp is a little weak for running radios off-road lights ect. I run a marine battery and occasionally have to do a maintenance charge on it.

*My ATV was a electric shift. Kind of a pain having to shift all the time. One of those hold my beer type things.

I guess depending on the donor is what the options would be. I'm planning a IRS rear on my cart this winter and redoing a few short cuts I did on the build.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
Moostang
Not Yet Wild

I am located in central florida and I have found what i believe i am going to get for the donor its a 2004 honda 400ex. Its a manual shift with a clutch. i'm thinking maybe a clutch paddle on the steering wheel like a shifter cart. the main dilemma is attaching the steel frame to the aluminum frame and it not being sketchy.
Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
JRL
Gone Wild

ATV, water cooled only. Get the complete donor. You'll want it. Dont buy any engine that does not include all electronics. That includes the instrument panel. Panel is often part of the ignition.
A Suzuki LT Z 400 would be cool. Very cool. An Eigher or such...not so much. Gotta be water cooled for good summer fun. IMHO...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps