lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Drivers Clubs
Drivers Clubs Club Car/Ezgo/Yamaha/etc.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

Default Suggestions for a cart purchase

This is my first "technical" post but it's really more of a general question.

I'm in the market for a used cart but I need to refine my searches for carts that will fit my need. I plan to use the cart for transportation while at racing and RVing events and one place I frequent the most is Road Atlanta. If anyone has been there, you know that one of the most pronounced features of Road Atlanta is the long up and down paved hills in the infield. I'm looking for a cart that will not "struggle" while going up hill. I know that most will slow down some but I don't want to be having to push the cart up the hills if you know what I mean. I have rented a cart from a local cart company that worked out well. It was a 2014 EZ-GO TXT 48V cart that used 4 12V batteries. No issues at all going up hills with that one.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? I'm open to either electric or gas. I've been told to stay clear of 36V carts. Especially ones with a series motor Are there any models or brands I should stay clear of? Really just trying to narrow the field down to viable candidates.

Any help is greatly appreciate.
JTCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Suggestions for a cart purchase

You are on the right path.
I would look for the TXT48 with 6/8v batteries in it.
2nd choice would be a CC precedent with 6/8v batteries.
3rd choice would be a Yamaha Drive aka G29 also with 6/8v
I hope this helps & happy hunting
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You are on the right path.
I would look for the TXT48 with 6/8v batteries in it.
2nd choice would be a CC precedent with 6/8v batteries.
3rd choice would be a Yamaha Drive aka G29 also with 6/8v
I hope this helps & happy hunting
From your posting I gather that electric 48V is the way to go. Any issues with gas driven carts? That would reduce my need for charging since many locations I go to have no electric service except for my RV generator.

Are there any specific years or models to stay clear of? Any that are specifically well suited to hills?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

At our campground almost everyone has gas, but that's because of how they get used: Think of the kids driving around all day, then you want to hop on to drive to town to go to the grocery or hardware. The couple hundred miles of range of a gas cart is far more reassuring than the range of an electric. But you should ask a few questions about where you intend to use it. Many parks & campgrounds no longer allow gas carts because of noise & pollution concerns.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Gas may be your best solution.
It sounds like that will be your first decision.
Generally you can just look around and see what is most popular for your application.
If most of the carts are gas then gas is probably the way to go.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If charging is limited then that's definitely an issue worth taking into account. Electric has much more torque than a gas (climbing/towing) but if you don't have a consistent availability of electrical source to charge, then electric may not be the best.

IF you go with gas, I would highly recommend going with a Yamaha, solely because of Don Plowman. You can find an older G22, save a few bucks, and customize to to do what you want it to do. IF you want more speed, Plowman's specializes in Yamaha to give you speed. If you want it to climb hills like a billy goat, he can customize a clutching setup to make that happen. AS far as I am aware, no other brand of golf cars has a resource like him to customize the cart to perform exactly as you want/need it to.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

I usually have some form of charging capability because I always take my motorhome with me. It does have a 7KW Onan generator that's plenty capable of providing clean power. I do like the convenience of not having to charge and the ability of doing quick gas fills on a gasser. Sounds like it's going to come down to whether I can find an appropriate 48V or gas driven cart.

Any preferences on specific brands that are the most reliable? I do understand that this forum covers all types but there must be some preferences.;)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Stick with the big 3
Club Car
Ezgo
Yamaha
Old 02-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

Good suggestions guys. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a decent cart to meet my needs. I do live in the Atlanta GA area so there should be some selection to choose from. Criag's List seems to be the best place to look for them. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

Any idea if this is even repairable? 2016 48V cart:

Price is currently at $1200. Looks like some front suspension damage an maybe some frame damage. I'm pretty handy with repairs so it doesn't scare me too much.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Drivers Clubs