lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Need help with club car conversion

Scottyb is out this week, so I am hitting up you guys in his absence. I have a 1993 Club Car DS, and here is the email I sent him explaining the issue:

Scotty

Don't know if you are working today but I have a question. I bought the c74 conversion kit from you for my 1993 club car ds. I hooked it up and it jacked the back wheel up and it worked. I then installed a lift kit and it will not run. Solenoid clicks but nothing happens. It's a 36v cart. What test do I need to run to troubleshoot? Thanks.

Here was his reply:

The problem is somewhere in the high amperage delivery system. Troubleshooting is best done with the solenoid resistor removed. Check to see that you are getting a full 36 V at the controller when testing between B+ and B- when the solenoid clicks. If no,check the solenoid. If yes, move your test leads to controller B- and M minus and observe the voltage reading as a solenoid just clicks. It should read a full 36 V and as a pedal is depressed this reading should go down to near zero. This shows that the controller is working. If it's not working verify you have 36 V at pin number one when the solenoid clicks. If it is working in the motors not turning check your cables and connections to the motor. Lastly check your F and R for continuity. I'm going to be out most of today and for the following week. Go to buggiesgonewild.com for more help. feel free to copy and paste any part of this email which will help those guys determine what troubleshooting you already done.

Since then, I removed the resistor per his instructions. I then checked B+ and B-, and got 36V at each. I then put the negative (black) from the voltmeter on B- and the positive (red) on M to observe the voltage reading. It would hit 36V, but it would never drop. Just stayed there.

What does this mean?

I then put the kept the negative on B- and the positive on the one pin, and got 36 volts. I did.

I checked all the connections. They seem fine.

Maybe I need to check the F&R for continuity? If so, how?

Maybe the problem is that the voltage does not drop off on B- and M???

Finally, I am using some fairly old batteries till I get this thing up and running properly. They seem to take a charge. I get 36V after charging, and still near there a few hours after charging. Could the batteries be the problem?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I am disappointed I have made it this far and cannot finish it. Thanks.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need help with club car conversion

Lift one of the wheels again, or both and make sure you can turn them by hand. Try to run it like that so there is very little load on the batteries.
If it still does not work, make sure no wires came off the contoller, like the ones going to the Throttle box.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I tried both of those yesterday. Should have put that in the thread. They turn by hand. All wires are on the controller.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you try the FNR in both posititions? Did you do any other work on the cart while installing the lift?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

I did try both positions. Only other thing I did was clean brakes with brake cleaner and change drive unit fluid.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Please lemme know if you have any other ideas.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Quote:

Since then, I removed the resistor per his instructions. I then checked B+ and B-, and got 36V at each. I then put the negative (black) from the voltmeter on B- and the positive (red) on M to observe the voltage reading. It would hit 36V, but it would never drop. Just stayed there.

Maybe the problem is that the voltage does not drop off on B- and M??
Not maybe.

Check to see that you are getting a full 36 V at the controller when testing between B+ and B- when the solenoid clicks. If no,check the solenoid. If yes, move your test leads to controller B- and M minus and observe the voltage reading as a solenoid just clicks. It should read a full 36 V and as a pedal is depressed this reading should go down to near zero. This shows that the controller is working. If it's not working verify you have 36 V at pin number one when the solenoid clicks. If it is working in the motors not turning check your cables and connections to the motor. Lastly check your F and R for continuity.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

So how do i fix that if at all?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Do you have 36v at pin 1 when solenoid clicks?
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

When I put the negative from the voltmeter to b- and the positive to pin one I get approximately 36 volts. I think it was 34.8. That's when the solenoid clicks.

Could the controller have been set up for 48 volts or does that matter?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car