lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
levGizmo
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax SPM no error codes but not working

I have an Alltrax SPM 72400 and was having troubles with it. All I get is a single blinking green LED light. The single blink indicates a 0-5k throttle. I tried to clear and reset the throttle but the controller LED light never goes to a solid "ready" green. Also I get no throttle response when the throttle type is set to USB or absolute. The flashing green LED does change it's blink code to indicate the new throttle type.

About a week ago, I contacted Alltrax support. We spent about fourty-five minutes trouble shooting checking the 0-5k throttle, proper voltages on the B+, B- and M-. The controller had voltage on the spade connectors. Everything appeared to be good and proper. Still no throttle response.

Alltrax had me send in the controller which I did. There was a mixup and they returned to me a different controller 48600 rather than my 72400. I called them up to see what was going on. They said my controller was good and showed no errors using their diagnostic tools. Also they were going to have UPS pick up the SPM 48600 the following day.

Before I had known the outcome of everything, I did connect the 48600 controller up to see if it would work. At this time, I'm using a 60V pack of LiFePO4 Calb 100Ah cells in a 2p18s pack. The traction pack was at 58V well within the maximum of 60V for the 48600 controller. I doubled checked the software making sure the settings were correct reset the throttle and... nothing. I have/had a single blinking green LED.

This is two controller now with the same outcome. It would seem that the odds indicate something is wrong on my end rather than the controller.

Now I haven't the foggiest idea what to do or where to look. I've scoured the net using Google and buggiesgonewild members have the most experience it would appear with the SPM controller. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions as to what I can do to get running again or what I might be doing wrong.

At this time I don't have my controller back from Alltrax or whomever it was shipped to Alltrax said a day or two but I have my doubts it will arrive today. Keeping the faith that it will be early next week.
levGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Alltrax SPM no error codes but not working

Well first off the controller is in program mode when you do this right. If you have a blinking green light.

The controller should have a solid green light when just wanting to ride it. Also what year cart are we talking about?
0-5k is for a old marothone Ezgo.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
levGizmo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Alltrax SPM no error codes but not working

The LED blinks with or without the USB cable connected. Alltrax said it was normal to blink with it connected. Is it possible to be in programing mode with the USB disconnected?

The vehicle isn't a true cart though it may have cart parts on it State of Oregon considers it a motorcycle due to three wheels. The manufacture was NEVCO of Eugene Oregon. The model is called Gizmo.
A photo of the vehicle is my avatar. It started it's life in 2001 with 48v of lead acid battery. I did a battery upgrade last year and over volted to 60V. The over volting burned out my Curtis Controller in roughly two months. I read about and upgraded to the Alltrax SPM. Last Fall I installed it a had some difficulties with the blinking green LED but was able to get to a solid green light. The trike ran but I put it up over the winter to do a motor upgrade. Now I'm stuck at the blinking green LED again

This is my EV Album page. The three w's will need to be added in front: evalbum.com/4336

Bill
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Alltrax SPM no error codes but not working

I would be sending it back to Alltrax. Take some pictures also of it when it's blinking without the USB hooked up.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
levGizmo
Not Yet Wild

I did send it back. Alltrax said that there diagnostic results were that there is nothing wrong with the controller.

Since I had the same troubles with the 48600 they sent by mistake, I'm thinking it might have something to do with me or my setup. I'll hook up the controller to a different computer. Who knows, might be my laptop screwing things up.

I appreciate your time and replies.

Bill
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Alltrax SPM no error codes but not working

You are correct the computer maybe the problem. I had a old AXE controller and tried it with my old lap top and it wouldn't read it. The computer may have caused it to act like this.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
TamaraSpence
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I too connected and later found out that the computer system was playing the spoil sport. Always check everything to isolate problems.
TamaraSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The controller is supposed to blink indicating the throttle program whether it is plugged into a USB or not. When the solenoid clicks the LED should go solid green. Does this happen? Did it happen before? What is this mounted in?
If Alltrax tested the control then the problem is on your end.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
levGizmo
Not Yet Wild

The SPM 72400 has been returned from Alltrax. It has received a clean bill of health. I haven't been able to reinstall it yet as I'm building a much needed chicken coop.

Alltrax support did mention that the controller LED would blink with the USB cable plugged in however I wasn't aware that it would blink with no USB until the contactor clicked.

What was confusing during my support call to Alltrax was that there was correct power at: B-, B+ and M- indicating that the contactor had closed and yet the LED would just blink (as I recall) even without the USB connected. I never saw a solid green LED but honestly the USB cable was connected the majority of the time.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to reinstall the controller early next week.

The controller is mounted in a three wheeled enclosed motorcycle called a Gizmo.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
levGizmo
Not Yet Wild

A quick follow up and to help close out this thread. I finally had some free time and was motivated to work on my Gizmo. Yesterday, I installed the controller but faced the same blinking green LED light. I called it a day. Today I rewired the motor as forward only with no reverse just to remove part of the circuitry. Still the blinking green light. I began checking my voltages and for some reason checked the KSI voltage. It was 12v. I didn't at first understand why it was 12v since it was jumpered directly from my traction pack. It should be full pack voltage. The SPM 72400 was set for a 20v KSI. As it turned out, that was my old KSI wire from my broken Curtis controller. I found the wire from my traction pack and verified the voltage. Plugged it in and immediately got an under voltage error code. After charging the CALB LFP traction pack the error code went away and I was left with a SOLID! green LED. Powered it up, goosed the throttle and heard the sweet sound of the motor turning.

So it appears that it was a KSI voltage issue. With insufficient voltage the controller was never fully turning on.

Thanks for everyone's help and sorry it took so long on my end.

Bill

Tags
0-5k, alltrax, led, spm, throttle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!