lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
tooltator
Not Yet Wild

Default A1 cable and motor terminal heating up

Hello all, new to the Board but have already found a lot of information.

I have a 1995 Medalist (DCS). New motor (AMD motor, 4.45 HP, EZGO PDS/DCS stock replacement), good used controller. Printed out the wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide. Battery pack after charging reads 37.6 volts (batteries need replacing but I want to get it fixed first). Cart passes all checks described in the troubleshooting guide. Cart runs fine, no cable overheating, on jack stands, but when on the ground the cable heats up quickly. This the same problem I had with the original motor and was told that the motor was bad but problem was perhaps a combination of the motor and controller. Borrowed a controller from a friends cart to test everything before spending any more money.

Additional tests I have done: connected DVM between the B- and M-(A1) terminals on controller and have pack voltage, pressing throttle, soleniod clicks and voltage drops to 0.0v; DVM connected between B- on controller and solenoid stud where the blue wire connects reads pack voltage then goes to 0.0v when throttle is depressed.

By accident I discovered that with the DVM connected between B- on battery pack and the chassis I have a +16v (this voltage depends on battery charge status). This does not sound normal to me but I have been unable to determine why this voltage is present.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
tooltator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: A1 cable and motor terminal heating up

Welcome to BGW!

Be careful running a DCS controller with that battery pack. Low voltage kills DCS controllers.

You didn't mention which of the 10 high current cables was getting hot, but none of them should be and they all have about the same current flow through them, so they should all be about the same temperature.
Technically, with Sepex motors, total motor current is split between the heavy cables to the armature and the lighter cables to the field winds, but the other 8 heavy cable carry total motor current.

If any cable is getting hotter than the rest, the problem is most likely a loose or corroded connection, or a bad cable.
The stock 6Ga cables ought to be replaced with 4Ga or heavier cables. All 10 of them.

Having voltage on the frame/chassis is a No-No.
Possibles sources:
Insulation worn off and bare wires touching frame.
Automotive type accessories. Medalist has a metal body, so anything mounted on the body is touching the frame.
Conductive residue from overflowed batteries. (Touch DVM probe to tops of batteries, you will find some voltage there.)

When you replace the batteries, clean the rust off the battery rack and coat with truck bed liner or something similar. There have been some threads on this, I don't remember what all has been used to protect the battery trays.

Added:
I see the cable was identified in title.

Since it is doing same thing with two different motors, the cable is bad.

If you still have old motor, it is probably good. With an aftermarket controller, the original DCS motor was a torque monster.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 09-17-2012 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
tooltator
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: A1 cable and motor terminal heating up

Thanks for the quick reply JohnnieB! Will be ordering the new cables and replacing the batteries but will continue to search for the cause of the errant voltage.

Will make the necessary repairs/painting of the battery rack before installing the new batteries. The only accessories on the cart (were on when we got it) is a horn and the headlights so will start my search for the errant voltage there.

Again thanks for your help.
tooltator is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO