lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Forward & Reverse Cable problems

I'm trying to finish up my clone install in my 95 Ezgo Medalist and one of my shift cables is shorter than the other. I guess one has been replaced. Anyhow now the short one won't reach because I had to move the generator forward. I looked at new cables and it said they are 40". Does anyone know how to measure these cables? One of my old ones measures 40" from the tip of the lever to the tip of the other end. The longer one measures 40" from the end of the outer shield the the tip of the other end. So if this is how you measure all I need is a new cable, but I don't know. They had some longer ones that fit a 350 Workhorse, in the picture it looked the same as mine. I wonder if these will fit my Medalist. I'm going to post some pictures of my install later. I have cranked it up already but I had to take it all back apart and do some final things.
Robert Yow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Forward & Reverse Cable problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Yow View Post
I'm trying to finish up my clone install in my 95 Ezgo Medalist and one of my shift cables is shorter than the other. I guess one has been replaced. Anyhow now the short one won't reach because I had to move the generator forward. I looked at new cables and it said they are 40". Does anyone know how to measure these cables? One of my old ones measures 40" from the tip of the lever to the tip of the other end. The longer one measures 40" from the end of the outer shield the the tip of the other end. So if this is how you measure all I need is a new cable, but I don't know. They had some longer ones that fit a 350 Workhorse, in the picture it looked the same as mine. I wonder if these will fit my Medalist. I'm going to post some pictures of my install later. I have cranked it up already but I had to take it all back apart and do some final things.
I can't comment on your shifter cables Robert but I am using an electric pull/push actuator on my Club Car axled project cart. Similar to an automotive door locking system. Cheaper than using the old cable and imo way more fun. I'm using the turn signal arm to fire it. Up is forward and down for reverse. Just thought it might give you some food for thought.
Similar to this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-96-STROKE-...&hash=item3f08
FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

fastercarter.. I thought about that route but then I wouldn't have neutral. Also, what about if the shifter jams occasionally, like mine?
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
fastercarter.. I thought about that route but then I wouldn't have neutral. Also, what about if the shifter jams occasionally, like mine?
You have to engage maintenance mode manually don't you ? So do I. You shift with a lever, I engage with a switch. I prefer my mode of operation. Its sleek and seamless. Nothing wrong with your preferred modus operandi but it is distinctly old fashioned and involves levers and cables etc. I'm not trying to sell my system but trust me; More parts = more problems.

FC
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure what you mean by 'engage maintenance mode manually'. I don't have a shifter mechanism, yet. I have a 4 cycle rear end that I just installed in a 1990 EZGO 2 stroke cart. I didn't get anything with it except the transaxle. I don't even have the bracket that goes on the shifter shaft. My very first thought was to do what you did but I want to be able to select neutral from the driver's seat. Also, the transaxle doesn't always shift smoothly. It sticks sometimes when passing through neutral and has to be fiddled with to get it into gear. An actuator would eliminate the 'feel' of a mechanical linkage. If you've ever driven a big truck with a two speed rear axle and electric shift you'll know what I mean.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'engage maintenance mode manually'. I don't have a shifter mechanism, yet. I have a 4 cycle rear end that I just installed in a 1990 EZGO 2 stroke cart. I didn't get anything with it except the transaxle. I don't even have the bracket that goes on the shifter shaft. My very first thought was to do what you did but I want to be able to select neutral from the driver's seat. Also, the transaxle doesn't always shift smoothly. It sticks sometimes when passing through neutral and has to be fiddled with to get it into gear. An actuator would eliminate the 'feel' of a mechanical linkage. If you've ever driven a big truck with a two speed rear axle and electric shift you'll know what I mean.

My bad Robert, I completely overlooked the fact that your cart is an EZ-GO. I'm running a Club Car rear end with a forward, neutral and reverse. My set up allows for any of these options.
Sorry for the misinformation.

FC.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

No problem...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I measured the new cable when it came in if anyone needs to know, the cables are measured from the tip of the lever to the tip of the threaded end.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good info on measuring the cable lengths. I bought an EZGO parts machine and I'm putting the shifter mechanism on my good cart. The cables work fine but are pretty shabby. A new set would be much better.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps