lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Jeff E
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default valve adjustment

Just adjusted the valves on my 2009 sport 11 three days ago and just now putting it back together. Not because it took that long just took about 30min. But because the valve cover gasket is paper not a oil ring like I thought it would be. So just letting everyone know to order one in advance because it tore the old one taking it off. It has to seal good because where the dip stick goes in the middle is sealed off seperate from the valves. I was afraid of using just gasket maker. Just thought I would let everybody know ahead of time.
Jeff E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: valve adjustment

What engine is that.. I am unfamiliar with it.

I hate not having a gasket.. I made the one for my twin, using the old one as a pattern
as it had chipped a little during removal..
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Jeff E
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The new 13hp kawasaki engine. Got the gasket back on valves a little quieter now. The valves were just a little loose out of gap specification. I set the valves on about 005 thousands. It said 004-006 thousands and i went in the middle.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Cool !
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
IDIeselman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

How many hours would you guess are on your cart? I have a little over 50 on mine and have considered checking spec, Did you notice a difference in how it runs?

Thanks
Tim
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Jeff E
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe in the service it said to adjust annualy or so many hours i can't remember the exact hours I would have to look it up. But I would say once a year would be fine. The adjustment was barely off on mine. The valves are a little quieter on it seems to run a little smoother. My cart rattles a little when you let off the gas like the guy said in the other post. But I believe it is from when you let off full throttle and start coasting, because the motor is still turning over till you slow down enough for the clutch to kick out. And during that time if the pedal is all way out the motor is not firing to burn the gas&air thats going to the engine. That is the only time mine rattles a little, my valves looked fine when I adjusted them. There is a hole in the head at the valves that oils them. If the oil pump is working and hole not plugged they should get oiled fine.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
IDIeselman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Jeff, You were correct on the gasket. I had to scrape it off with a razor blade. If the oil holes you speak of are these pictured on top between the valves mine are not oiling. The cart has always ran great and has been beat like a rented mule, The oil light goes out seconds after start up and I see no blockage of the alleged oil holes. I started it with the cover off and the only oil present is blowing up from the dipstick hole between the valves. I don't believe the holes are for oiling as they are far to large to be connected to an oil gallery, Unless they are restricted somewhere out of sight and are meant to just weep. Did you start yours and if so were the holes oiling? We are leaving for Drummond island next weekend and I must have the cart in top condition.

Thanks
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo oil 001.jpg (142.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Jeff E
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did not start mine with the cover off, I thought the little hole above the dipstick hole was where the oil came from, but I might be wrong the service manual don,t tell much about the engine except basic maintaince. Ezgo has a service manual just on the kawasaki engine I might have to buy it to. So don,t take my word on where it oils the valves from. Not 100% for sure but mine looked to have plenty of oil one the valve train when the cover was off.Maybe someone will help us both out.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
IDIeselman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I hope so, Someone has to know for sure. There was plenty of oil on mine when I took it apart also. Kind of a pain to measure with the gauge the way the valves are recessed below the retainer and keepers but I'm sure it's close. The intake was a little loose but the exhaust was within spec.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Jeff E
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

They are a little aggervating to get right. I just don,t like to here the rattle when they are to loose. I got the four wheeler out the other day and cleaned it up and adjusted the valves on it also. It on the other hand is a pain , you have to take it all apart just to get to the valve covers. Thought I would get it out it has sit for the last eight months. It gets used very little since I bought the cart. Golf cart is used alot more than four wheeler now, wished I had the cart long ago, very usefull.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO