lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Onboard 12v charger for booster batterys

1988 EZGO resistor cart with 12v boost.
I have 2 12v batteries in the bag well and a small 6A 12v charger permanently attached to them. The power cord for the 12v charger is routed to a plug near the 36v charger connector. My question is 'do I need to disconnect the charger from the batteries when I am using the cart, or can the 12v charger remain connected indefinitely?' I can easily add a switch to the charger wires.
Thank you for our help.
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Onboard 12v charger for booster batterys

You can leave the charger permanently attached, it will not run your batteries down.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Derpending on brand of charger be sure that 120 volt plug in isnt able to make contact on any metal across two or three contacts on plug end. This could possibly short capacitor out damaging charger circuit?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Derpending on brand of charger be sure that 120 volt plug in isnt able to make contact on any metal across two or three contacts on plug end. This could possibly short capacitor out damaging charger circuit?
Good heads up on the shorting of the charger connector. I am mounting a receptacle near the main pack charger plug for the 110v input to the 12v charger.
I am using a plug that is an inset male type similar to your computer rear panel power source. When I pull that charger plug the exposed pins are inset in the plug housing. Maybe I could fashion a piece of foam packing to totally plug off the receptacle when not is use. A little hanging door on a single pin would be better.

Thanks dougmcp that is what I wanted to hear.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
I can easily add a switch to the charger wires.
Dennis
Put the switch in the 110v line between the charger and the plug and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very good idea you have for plug in so its not exposed. In your area near the coast range I would make yourself a cover to keep rain out unless you keep it in cart port or garage? Of course it never rains in Oregon??
We were originally from the Salem area and so know your area well. I used to love going to Forest Grove for the car show on college grounds. We had several Concours show winners some years back before moving to south Texas 13 years ago.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Very good idea you have for plug in so its not exposed. In your area near the coast range I would make yourself a cover to keep rain out unless you keep it in cart port or garage? Of course it never rains in Oregon??
We were originally from the Salem area and so know your area well. I used to love going to Forest Grove for the car show on college grounds. We had several Concours show winners some years back before moving to south Texas 13 years ago.
Small world! Just to bring back some old memories, the average rainfall for the month of June is less than 1 inch, and this years rainfall total for June is approaching 5 inches, the most ever!! I generally don't go out in the rain with the cart when the ground is soggy only to the neighbors to dump the trash. The neighbor works for Waste Management as a driver so free garbage service for me!
I have a couple of 4X4 ATV's that I use to take out any frustrations during inclement weather!
My son moved to Texas about ten years ago and now living in Dallas working for Beal bank as an Applications Programmer. He's into high performance motorcycles (Ducati at the present) but I am trying to get him interested in carts.
Have a great day.
Dennis
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car