lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
SETEX ARMS
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Jakes long travel shocks

You are supposed to have about 85 psi of nitrogen in the shocks on top of the oil. See instructions at the bottom of the first picture. But since you let it out regular compressed air will be fine.
Even with the correct psi in the shocks I too had to crank the adjustment rings down in hopes of gaining enough preload to handle the weight. But they were still to soft imo.
The good news is that Jake's sells heavy duty replacement coils for these new style front shocks.
I purchased them a couple years ago and couldn't be more happy with the shocks now.
I just went out in the garage and found the paperwork with the part number for these shocks. Look at the pictures for the part number.
They were $60 two years ago for the pair.
Call them up and give them the part number and get you some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
SETEX ARMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
Markymizzle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETEX ARMS View Post
You are supposed to have about 85 psi of nitrogen in the shocks on top of the oil. See instructions at the bottom of the first picture. But since you let it out regular compressed air will be fine.
Even with the correct psi in the shocks I too had to crank the adjustment rings down in hopes of gaining enough preload to handle the weight. But they were still to soft imo.
The good news is that Jake's sells heavy duty replacement coils for these new style front shocks.
I purchased them a couple years ago and couldn't be more happy with the shocks now.
I just went out in the garage and found the paperwork with the part number for these shocks. Look at the pictures for the part number.
They were $60 two years ago for the pair.
Call them up and give them the part number and get you some.

Dude you are the man! That’s exactly what I need, I barely pressed the valve in so the pressure must still be good inside so I’ll leave that alone, def ordering those springs!
Markymizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
SETEX ARMS
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markymizzle View Post
Dude you are the man! That’s exactly what I need, I barely pressed the valve in so the pressure must still be good inside so I’ll leave that alone, def ordering those springs!
lol no problem.
When you barely pushed the Schrader valve in you let all the air out. That's the reason oil came out. The shock holds 85psi but has very very little volume.
So little volume in fact that you can't check the pressure with a gauge.
To check and or fill you have to set the regulator on your air compressor to 85. I would actually set it to 90. Hold the air chuck on the schrader valve and fill up the shock untill the pressure in your shock, hose and compressor tank equalize which will only take a split second. (Very little volume). Then quickly remove the air chuck and your done. Screw back on the metal cap.
Hope that made sense.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markymizzle View Post
My jakes shocks have what looks like an air valve on them

I pressed the middle pin in and oil came out

Is it possible to just hook up an air pump and add air to them to make them stiffer? My are super soft and bottom out a lot
Go here: https://www.jakesliftkits.com/golfca...ravel_Lift.pdf and read the Jakes Installation instructions.

If you look at item 8, that should give you a better understanding of "soft ride" vs "hard ride."

I don't think you should add or release any air in the shocks. If your not sure, give Jakes a call and they can provide you with tech support.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #15
texan
Gone Wild

My new kit came with the black coil spring instead of chrome. that must be the heaver springs after reading Markymizzle post. Handles the rough off road better.
Need to get a pair off road brackets. Can these be ordered from Jakes ?
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
SETEX ARMS
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My original springs that came on the shocks were kind of a chrome black hammered metal color and the heavy-duty ones that I ordered were black and thicker metal.
What do you mean by off-road brackets?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
texan
Gone Wild

extreme off road shock support. Back up couple post look at that link on Dave post
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
Markymizzle
Not Yet Wild

Here is a picture of my cart

I have the jacks LT kit up front cranked way up and an all sports 10” lift on the rear, she sits nice and level on 27” tires

My real issue is a little rubbing front and rear, so I’m going to add a bump stop on the shock shaft to limit compression and maybe add a bump stop out back

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ryhe7rxqSr6cNbPf6
Markymizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:56 PM   #19
SETEX ARMS
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
extreme off road shock support. Back up couple post look at that link on Dave post
I actually have a set if those. They sent them to me when I bought the HD springs. They did not fit with my lift.
No worky!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts