lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken solenoid stud... what are the resisters???

My 1992 36V Electric EZGO (stock engine/controller etc.) was starting to intermittently not go forward after hearing the click and sometimes would all of a sudden jump forward like you dropped the clutch in a car. Researching the issue it seems like there are several potential issues, however the 1st place to start was with all of the connections. Individual battery and total pack voltages looked good, some connections could use cleaning and attention. Today as I was cleaning all the connections I broke one of the studs off of the solenoid. I also noted two (resisters?) one going between the two small studs and one between the two large ones. It also appears the one going between the two larger ones had started to melt into the plastic of the solenoid.

Main question is: I presume the "resisters" are there for a reason so looking at potential solenoid replacements that I can get my hands on by this weekend before the cart goes back out to camp. Is this something needed for older solenoids or something I would need to put on any solenoid replacing this one? Any recommendations one solenoids that can be sourced locally. We use the cart for riding around the campground with its original equipment.

Thanks, Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92 EZGO 36V solenoid.jpg (147.4 KB, 0 views)
ezgoin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broken solenoid stud... what are the resisters???

The big one is a resistor - the small one is a diode. buy new ones when you replace the solenoid, that should fix it
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:36 PM   #3
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty B, what would be your best suggestion, to just replace the solenoid with the resister and diode and be happy that it has got us around the camp for years or is there a package you would recommend for the ole gal. It's an old cart that treats the family well but I don't want to pour a ton of $ into it either. Would a new controller etc make enough of a difference???? Guessing I don't need to go as far as a programmable unit or do I. Thanks
ezgoin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I suspect your problems started with a loose or poor connection on the solenoid stud that broke off. The poor connection generated heat which melted the nearby red wire to the solenoid post. The resistor and diode are probably ok. Be sure to connect the bar end or the diode exactly as shown on the replacement solenoid.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO