lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
x-bird
Getting Wild

Default Ez-go rear for ORV project

Posted part of my question up in the EZ-GO electric forum ...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...dana-rear.html

The rear i've got i think is from a 48v actually, unitized. (old metal body ez-go) It has a seized bearing on the topmost/bottom? gear in the case, bearing is spinning in the case side (just turning by hand). salvageable, or is the case side likely too worn?

What i'm wondering, is rather than chopping the case like i had planned and finding/fabbing a chain sprocket to replace the "ring" gear, would one of these rears hold up to a 13-16 hp GY-6 150 cc engine turning 7,000 rpm? I can get another for scrap price if need be. (about 100 for the whole cart before i strip and return the leftovers to the yard--works out to be about $40 for a rear)

Also wondering what the final drive output would end up like. presently my buggy is running a 16 tooth drive sprocket to 39 tooth final sprocket off a 13/40 transmission gearset. No clue how the cart transmissions "ratio out" from input to the wheels. don't want a bogged down dog or a too quick but no top end situation.

TIA for any advice
x-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
x-bird
Getting Wild

Default Re: Ez-go rear for ORV project

no idears???

rear axle finally did shear on me the other day, (doing about 20 in a rh turn) ground was soft and i had a nice roll cage test. all's good on that end of things.

Still trying to decide whether to cut the rear open and gut it except for the center spider cluster and use the ring gear as a chain sprocket mount, or consider repairing the bad bearing and running a chain drive sprocket on the motor input shaft.

That part is where i'm clueless as to what the final drive of it would be, as it would be running the GY6 engine/CVT/transmission to the golf cart motor input shaft.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
x-bird
Getting Wild

so this ended up working out very well for my needs. Those being creating a strong enough rear axle to take the abuse i put it through.

While it's pretty far off the golf cart track, i know a lot of guys have their work cut out in the gas carts getting bigger industrial engines to work with some of the tranmission/power transfer setups. this would be a pretty good alternative to a 30 or 40 series cvt setup. if need be a jackshaft can be used with sprockets to run a pure chain setup and dump the belts.

I've aired it out a few times with nothing failing. only issue was from my installation fo a cross brace that my chain slaps against. a i've chewed through a number of homemade idler pulleys. a 50 series idelr sprocket is on it's way to fix that. Spiders are welded solid and sealed bearings are in the carrier bearings spots now. wish i could afford the disc brake conversion, the drums need new shoes and it's eating up a lot of real estate to get her slowed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum4.jpg (172.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg drum6.jpg (195.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
DsZ71
3 Linked

E-Z-GO

I would like to see some pics of your cart...
DsZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
x-bird
Getting Wild

my last remaining cart is a stock 1998 club car 48 volt. THat one's currently for sale.

This project took the floorpan from a mid size offroad "buggy" and is a complete custom build with cro-moly dual a-arm front suspension, R&P steering, fox shocks f/r, custom cage and frame structure, presently a 150cc engine (suzuki 250 quadrunner engine for it is a winter project).

it uses the front hubs and axles from an ez-go as well as the rear end housing as pictured above. In between are parts from a Scag zero turn, acrease wing mowers, Derone Ent. golf ball picker, a jeep wrangler, various golf club racks (Ping fenders LOL) and assorted other bits of metal from my scrap pile.

Compared to what's offered in the go-kart and mini buggy aftermarket, stock golf cart parts are much higher quality and stronger. even the HD-rated buggy stuff is garbage in comparison. I got less than 2 hours out of the new buggy axle this rear replaced, and it put me in the ER when it went. I'd really like to come across a GEM suspension in the scrapyard one day ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finquart.jpg (225.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, that thing is cool.

Sounds like it needed a scattershield of some kind between your butt & the rear diff? Ouch.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
x-bird
Getting Wild

At the time it was just a straight axle with flangette bearings on plate hangars. Added extra hangars to prevent it from bending (known issue) and with the 12.5 wide 22" tires, it couldn't handle the torque and sheared clean through right where the hub met the spline end/shoulder--90-degree stress riser + low quality china metal. of course I was in a turn doign about 25-30 when it went, bearing hangars dug in, stopped it within about 2 feet and flipped it pretty much clean onto the top of the cage. my arm got between the top bar and ground when it landed.

I had already been looking for something stronger and had the GC rear pretty much figured out and was working on setting it up for the install. So far the gc rear while much heavier, is a vast improvement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts