lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
alaCart
Not Yet Wild

Default 1981 G1 went lame suddenly

Hi all, I've just bought an '81 G1 2 stroke Yamaha cart for Maw (who got cart-envy after I got an '89 Club Car going). The issue is a no start. Good compression (100 psi), but no fuel pressure (new pump on it prior to purchase), strong spark,etc.
It will run briefly with 50:1 fuel mix trickled in the spark plug hole but not when dripped in carb venturi. Pulled carb and reed box and I have zero vacuum at the intake whilst cranking. Then removed the exhaust and cranked the motor, still no suction at intake. Then sprayed carb cleaner on exposed crank seal (clutch side) and cranked with no result. Bench tested exhaust with compressed air, great flow. Exhaust removed does produce some pulse while cranking, intake is null of suction.
Some galling was noticed on the piston viewed thru reed box opening, but not too bad. So what the hey? I figure a gaping leak in the crankcase but the only thing I couldn't easily check was the flywheel side seal. Something is causing the lack of transfer port pulse as I have zero fuel and oil delivery.
According to prior owner it was running great and just quit, no clank or pop, just quit.
Anybody have a straw I can try, prior to pulling the mill?
alaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1981 G1 went lame suddenly

Sounds like a bad crank seal or some other hole in the crank case. Maybe reed valve?
Maybe flywheel side case bearing is bad taking out the seal.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
alaCart
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I pulled the motor this morning, popped the flywheel and removed the coils and wiring. I could see some of the bearing thru what was left of the seal. Pulled the seal housing out and the seal spring and a little of the rubber remained on the crankshaft. Worst I've ever seen.
Who has a bang-for-the-buck deal on bearings, seals, gaskets and a piston? It's got a stock bore so I plan on .50mm overbore on the jug.
Also, anyone know the thread pitch in the clutch? I made a puller for my Club Car but this hole is too small for my thread gage.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I like vintage golf cart parts for pricing. Check the bore first it may not be bad since compression was not too bad! I might just use a century hone and install new rings. Hone then check. A little galling on the piston may not be bad if the cylinder is round and not over sized. If you have to bore, first overbore is good!
Some times replacing only the seal is adequate! Check specks before ordering parts.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
alaCart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks tew45, you're a real confidence builder! Actually, the bearings all seem tight still but I'll put a dial indicator on em. The cylinder has some coarse striations in the very bottom of the bore but the top looks great. Gotta get the machining tools on it and git-er-done. The rest of the cart is in terrific shape so whatever Lola wants...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha