lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Navitas 600A Controller on 2018 RXV 48v - What should I expect?

So I bought a used 2018 RXV that goes 20mph on 205/40/14 tires. I bought a navitas 600A navitas controller and have yet to install it. A few questions after reading various posts by Bob Boyce and a few others I don't recall exact names...great info regardless, but I was looking for some opinions and constructive feedback as to what I should expect in terms of speed/efficiency from this bad boy of a controller.

1.) What is the top speed I can get from just reconfiguring the current controller? Same question for navitas?

2.) I made a 2GA cable set...would going to 1GA make any difference, or is 2GA plenty?

3.) Which solenoid should I go with? 400A HD? Do I need resistors/diodes/both?

4.)I have the OTF but is it really necessary considering the bluetooth capability?

5.) Is there any other configuration access other than the OTF/Bluetooth interfaces?

Thanks in advance. I'm starting this as a new project cart. I'm pumped to say the least!
hammrhed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Navitas 600A Controller on 2018 RXV 48v - What should I expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammrhed71 View Post
So I bought a used 2018 RXV that goes 20mph on 205/40/14 tires. I bought a navitas 600A navitas controller and have yet to install it. A few questions after reading various posts by Bob Boyce and a few others I don't recall exact names...great info regardless, but I was looking for some opinions and constructive feedback as to what I should expect in terms of speed/efficiency from this bad boy of a controller.

1.) What is the top speed I can get from just reconfiguring the current controller? Same question for navitas?

2.) I made a 2GA cable set...would going to 1GA make any difference, or is 2GA plenty?

3.) Which solenoid should I go with? 400A HD? Do I need resistors/diodes/both?

4.)I have the OTF but is it really necessary considering the bluetooth capability?

5.) Is there any other configuration access other than the OTF/Bluetooth interfaces?

Thanks in advance. I'm starting this as a new project cart. I'm pumped to say the least!
Honestly, the stock Curtis controller can outperform it. You can expect to get 26 (stock tires) to 33 (20.5" tires) MPH with a reprogrammed stock controller. The Navitas cannot deliver that speed, not enough current capacity.

The stock solenoid and 2 guage cables will be fine because the Navitas passes less current than a reprogrammed stock controller. No resistor or diode required.

The adjustability is limited. The OTF does allow you to adjust without a cellphone or tablet.

No other user interface is available. You are stuck with what is offered. Dealers get access to programming software. But again, options are limited as to what can be adjusted by a customer.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Honestly, the stock Curtis controller can outperform it. You can expect to get 26 (stock tires) to 33 (20.5" tires) MPH with a reprogrammed stock controller. The Navitas cannot deliver that speed, not enough current capacity.

The stock solenoid and 2 guage cables will be fine because the Navitas passes less current than a reprogrammed stock controller. No resistor or diode required.

The adjustability is limited. The OTF does allow you to adjust without a cellphone or tablet.

No other user interface is available. You are stuck with what is offered. Dealers get access to programming software. But again, options are limited as to what can be adjusted by a customer.

Bob

Wow...really? Is the navitas looking for more than 48v to get higher speed? What would the programming cost to get the current controller maxed out? Using the current controller with the upgraded speed program, would I even need 2GA cables and a new solenoid?

What benefit does the navitas give other than OTF programming? Can it ever get 33+ mph?? I'm looking for better than 35mph...how can I get to that? Gears with the curtis upgraded program?

Appreciate the quick response bob!
Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Wow...really? Is the navitas looking for more than 48v to get higher speed? What would the programming cost to get the current controller maxed out? Using the current controller with the upgraded speed program, would I even need 2GA cables and a new solenoid?

What benefit does the navitas give other than OTF programming? Can it ever get 33+ mph?? I'm looking for better than 35mph...how can I get to that? Gears with the curtis upgraded program?

Appreciate the quick response bob!
Yes, the stock controller still needs 2 guage cables for best performance at the top end. Unlike DC carts, voltage is not what drives speed. It is the drive frequency of the controller that sets the speed, and drive current to the stator windings that control slip/lock of the rotor to following the rotating magnetic field. Voltage is a factor in driving maximum current, but it is not the sole factor. Even though the stock Curtis controller exceeds the max current capacity of the Navitas, even it runs a bit shy of exceeding 33 MPH. I've not heard of any Navitas driven RXV even getting close to 30 MPH, let alone 33 MPH.

Increasing the tire size a little bit more could give you the few MPH required to reach 35 MPH or so. A 21" set of rear tires will get you really close... Most of the time, it ends up taking more current to turn the larger tire at the higher speed without too much slip. We can reach 37 MPH or so by using a reprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp controller and putting 23" tires on the rear of the RXV. That can deliver a lot more Amps to the motor!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Very interesting info...I love this site.

thoughts on gears? I had gears put on a previously reprogrammed rxv and it had 2-3' of 'backspin'. Not looking for anything more than the standard motor break, but upwards of 35+ mph.

I have seen you program these for free (shipping paid of course)...is that true? If so, could you email me details.

No mention of a new solenoid...stock is fine? I'm pumped that I can sell this Navitas. Maybe it'll pay for the gears...who knows. Maybe no one wants them anymore. I still don't understand the big deal with them now that I know what you said. Glad I didn't pay much for this...guy gave me 60% off retail.

Anyhow...thanks again Bob....look forward to hearing back from you

Dave
Old 12-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You won't need high speed gears if Bob programs it for you.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Very interesting info...I love this site.

thoughts on gears? I had gears put on a previously reprogrammed rxv and it had 2-3' of 'backspin'. Not looking for anything more than the standard motor break, but upwards of 35+ mph.

I have seen you program these for free (shipping paid of course)...is that true? If so, could you email me details.

No mention of a new solenoid...stock is fine? I'm pumped that I can sell this Navitas. Maybe it'll pay for the gears...who knows. Maybe no one wants them anymore. I still don't understand the big deal with them now that I know what you said. Glad I didn't pay much for this...guy gave me 60% off retail.

Anyhow...thanks again Bob....look forward to hearing back from you

Dave
Hey there Dave

As for gears, you could change from the stock 16.99:1 RXV gears to the 14.76:1 2Five gears to take the top speed to 35 MPH with stock tires and stock controller. The 2Five axle diagram and a parts list with E-Z-GO part numbers and other info is attached as a text file.

Yes I can do the RXV controllers by mail. No solenoid change required. I recommend 2 guage wires. You can edit your post to delete your email address. I'll email you with the details...

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Axle.jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Rear Axle.txt (2.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
You won't need high speed gears if Bob programs it for you.

Based on his info, the cart would top out at 33...I'm looking for 35+ (40 would be great) not that I need it, I just need to be faster than a buddy that has a txt doing 32.

I'm not looking to lift the cart...just go with the biggest tires without having to cut anything out.

I agree though, from all I've read and already have seen in our convos...bob IS the man!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
hammrhed71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Yes, the stock controller still needs 2 guage cables for best performance at the top end.Perfect...I've got them standing by

Increasing the tire size a little bit more could give you the few MPH required to reach 35 MPH or so. A 21" set of rear tires will get you really close... Most of the time, it ends up taking more current to turn the larger tire at the higher speed without too much slip. We can reach 37 MPH or so by using a reprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp controller and putting 23" tires on the rear of the RXV. That can deliver a lot more Amps to the motor! I'm just not interested in lifting the cart...so I think 20.5" or 21" tires is the best I can get...maybe 22"s

It's got 20.5" tires now...so I'll send you the controller asap with return shipping label. Then I'll see where it's at before I make a decision on new rubber/rims. Trying my best to make a 'stealthy speed demon' so lifting for 23" tires isn't really something I wanted to do. Time to research lifted RXV's to see how I like the look.

Muchos Gracias Bob!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

FWIW my 2012 rxv has been tweaked by Bob. The cart is relatively heavy with rear seat, long canopy, 6x8v batteries etc. This cart hit 32.4 mph measured by GPS on flat pavement with 18 miles on the charge under less than optimum conditions (cold). Tires are a measured 21".

BTW, Bob doesn't just increase top speed, he also fine tunes the controller for acceleration, regen braking and one pedal drivability as you may desire.

Bob is awesome!

As too your buddy with the 32mph TXT. What happens on an incline? In my experience the RXV, tweaked or not, will pull away from a DC cart on any sort of incline and the steeper it is the the faster the RXV pulls away. AC Yamaha does this also.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO