lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Minker67
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 EZGO Txt with Robins 295cc HEI Conversion. Interesting results.

I bought a project EZGO Txt with a robins 295cc. When I received it the engine would start after you put it on full choke. It would run and fully engage the belt and only do 8mph. There was no power. I started reading all the great info on this forum and began tackling the situation. I right away did a tune up, adjusted the valves and cleaned up the carb. It seem to start better but still the same performance. So I started diagnosing the situation and figured out 1 spark plug was not sparking at all. I swapped spark plugs and the one that didn’t spark had spark and the other had no spark. So that told me to the best of my knowledge that it was a coil issue. So back on the forums again. I started reading all about the HEI conversion and figured what the heck it is a cheap mod that might save me. So I purchased a HEI module and a DR39 coil. I got the HEI module before the coil so I decided to remove the igniter and put the HEI in and tested it on the old coil with the same result one sparks and the other doesn’t. So at least I knew the HEI was working and it had to be coil hopefully. Next day I received the coil and began that installation. After wiring everything up I tested the spark plugs and boom both were sparking. You had to see the smile on my face! So like a little kid right away threw those spark plugs in and fired her up and she started and sounded good. Jumped in for a test drive and the first issue arose. I had no throttle response. No matter if I press the pedal slightly or fully open the engine would not rev up at all like it did with the original parts and 1 cylinder running. I was bummed out. Why is this happening. Kept messing around with it, swapping wires on the pulsar and coil hoping for a difference. Still nothing, So at this point I figured let me put the original igniter back in to see what happens. Wired the igniter in and pulled the spark plugs out to test for spark. I press the pedal and to my surprise they both sparked and seem to have a much stronger brighter spark. I put the spark plugs back in stuck her in neutral and hit the pedal. I haven’t heard the cart rev up like that since I bought the cart. So I mounted everything back together and again jumped in for a ride and what a surprise the cart moves. I am able to get her to 22-23mph rather quickly(side note I have not touched anything on governor). Drove the cart around all day Sunday and never had an issue. Starts and runs just fine.

I’m interested to know if anyone knows why the HEI would not let the engine rev up but only start.

IMG_0865.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Minker67
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 EZGO Txt with Robins 295cc HEI Conversion. Interesting results.

Nobody has any idea why the HEI module would only allow the engine to start but not rev up. It will only idle. I am curious as to the reasoning. Are there different versions/quality of the HEI module. I have seen them range in price between $10-$40. I am very happy the way the engine is running now but still would like to know just in case in the future I need to attempt the co version again. As for the DR39 coil it runs great and nearly looks like a stock part.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 EZGO Txt with Robins 295cc HEI Conversion. Interesting results.

Minker,

I may be speaking out of turn here, but I want to think I have ran across other posts where folks have attempted the conversion and something went wrong and they ended up going back stock. You may be able to use the search in the forum and find out some further details.

I have never attempted the conversion and it seems like I noticed there were folks that were having difficulty get it to work properly. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Best of luck!
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Minker67
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 EZGO Txt with Robins 295cc HEI Conversion. Interesting results.

Guyboy,

I have searched the forums a lot and yes I have seen people make it work and others have issues. It was because of the forums I was able to get where I got with the cart. I was just seeing if anyone might know. I am interested in getting it to work eventually but at this time the stock oem igniter is doing its job with the automotive coil. I just wanted to post my results so people can see what I did. If it wasn’t for this forum I would probably have purchased the stock coil for $100 but instead I was able to get the automotive coil working all thanks to the knowledgeable people here. Saved me nearly $50.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Minker,

I meant no disrespect with my post and I completely understand, this forum has been a life saver for me as well. I would never been able to keep up with my cart without advice from this board. Hands down best forum bard I have ever been a part of.

I am sure someone with electrical skills will pop up at some point in time.
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Minker67
Not Yet Wild

I apologize if I implied anything. I did not mean anything by my post. I was just saying that I have searched. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

On some carts the module / ignitor also advances the timing. The HEI module doesn't do that.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
Minker67
Not Yet Wild

Appreciate the info. For future reference is there a way to advance the timing myself. This is all new to me so I’m interested in how everything works. I appreciate all the help I am getting.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
cschmidt18
Not Yet Wild

Minker, I am having the same issues you had. I have a 92 marathon with a 295cc robins and had it running not the greatest with the hei. Could you send me a diagram of how you wired the automotive coil with the stock ignitor? Thanks
cschmidt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
Acidrain
Not Yet Wild

I was able to get mine working good, but it is on an MCI engine, which uses a different pulser and coil.
I've read that sometimes you have to reverse two of the wires going to the HEI module... either the two from the coil, or the two from the pulser (can't remember which).
Acidrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO