lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car BigBattery 48v BDGR 96 ah install

I put these batteries in my 09 Precedent and mounted the provided charger on board with a NOCO receptacle in place of the original charge port. I cleaned up the wiring with bus bars and installed a Victron battery monitor. Now I can see exactly what the cart is pulling from the batteries while driving etc. I bypassed the OBC by cutting the white & blue wires coming out of the OBC and spliced them together. I removed the original charge port and wiring since the charger is hardwired so I didn't have to reroute the black wire to the battery. Now I can pull up and just plug in an extension cord from anywhere.

Now I'm thinking about building a 400w 48v solar roof.

A week ago I didn't know jack about carts but thanks to everyone here I've learned a lot in a short period. It helps that I've been a mechanic for 30+ years but I couldn't have done it without help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210913_191519_resized.jpg (112.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210913_191547_resized.jpg (143.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210913_191715_resized.jpg (160.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210913_192344_resized.jpg (232.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210913-195240.jpg (36.2 KB, 0 views)
Eric H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Club Car BigBattery 48v BDGR 96 ah install

Nice, clean set up. Yes, this is a great forum. I have been able to save a bunch of $$ by doing things myself that would have been impossible to do on my own, only from the help of the guys/gals here. I try to donate some each time I save, that keeps everything here as ad free as possible. Also, I try to give my business to the sponsors of the site. They may not always be as cheap as amazon, but customer service is superb with them, and I always have questions....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just did a performance test. I started at 91% state of charge and drove for 30 minutes, 9 miles and was down to 48% charge. Flat ground, little windy running around a half mile block loop so head wind was about 16 mph and tail wind 21 mph. I wasn't watching the draw.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:18 AM   #4
badankle
Not Yet Wild

Eric , I am doing the a similar install as you are and I have found the people on this site amazing with helping out. As I am a newbie to all of this I have fears of crossing wires and destroying my install. I have the 48 V HSKY from Big Battery that I am about to install in my 2007 Club Cart DS. My issue is similar to yours , I have the stock charger port receptacle that I want to replace with a 110 port and the bypass confuses me , as you mentioned the black 10g wire on the stock charger receptacle is no longer a issue but how did you wire the OBC bypass. Just with the white and blue wire jump? Did you remove all wires { black 10 g to the OBC and the red 10g to battery + post? } Did you remove the stock charger receptacle and all the wires and just replace a 110 in the precut hole? I am wondering if I am missing anything ? My battery arrives today and I am about to dive in !!! Your insight would be greatly appreciated
badankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by badankle View Post
Eric , I am doing the a similar install as you are and I have found the people on this site amazing with helping out. As I am a newbie to all of this I have fears of crossing wires and destroying my install. I have the 48 V HSKY from Big Battery that I am about to install in my 2007 Club Cart DS. My issue is similar to yours , I have the stock charger port receptacle that I want to replace with a 110 port and the bypass confuses me , as you mentioned the black 10g wire on the stock charger receptacle is no longer a issue but how did you wire the OBC bypass. Just with the white and blue wire jump? Did you remove all wires { black 10 g to the OBC and the red 10g to battery + post? } Did you remove the stock charger receptacle and all the wires and just replace a 110 in the precut hole? I am wondering if I am missing anything ? My battery arrives today and I am about to dive in !!! Your insight would be greatly appreciated
I removed the charge port receptacle completely to disassemble it. The original trim piece is reused but the connector guts are removed and discarded including all of the wiring to the batteries and the OBC. I installed this receptacle and if I recall correctly I didn't have to trim anything but I had to install the receptacle upside down so the mounting screws lined up with material behind it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The white and blue wires coming out of the OBC are jumped together. The ends that are left should be taped off or insulated somehow. I used busbars to make all of my connections to the batteries and charger.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:10 PM   #6
badankle
Not Yet Wild

I also removed all the wires too , my concern is the black 10 g wire{ the one that runs from the receptacle to the back of the OBC} Everyone on every site tells us to connected this wire { butt connector }to the "other" black 10 g wire coming out of the OBC to the that goes to the controller. It seems like that step cant happen when we take all the wires out
I was wondering if not connecting this wire effect the OBC or does the "Jump" white to blue disable this possibility. Sorry for being confused here but i cant figure out what i should do here with the connection between these two 10 g wires ,, it cant happen because one of the black 10g wires is gone. ???
Old 11-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #7
badankle
Not Yet Wild

exactly the same 110 cord I used , a little twisting and turning , drilled a little larger hole in the inside plate but manage to make the plug fit in
Old 12-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by badankle View Post
I also removed all the wires too , my concern is the black 10 g wire{ the one that runs from the receptacle to the back of the OBC} Everyone on every site tells us to connected this wire { butt connector }to the "other" black 10 g wire coming out of the OBC to the that goes to the controller. It seems like that step cant happen when we take all the wires out
I was wondering if not connecting this wire effect the OBC or does the "Jump" white to blue disable this possibility. Sorry for being confused here but i cant figure out what i should do here with the connection between these two 10 g wires ,, it cant happen because one of the black 10g wires is gone. ???
I believe the step of connecting the (OBC black) to the (controller black) after jumping the white and blue is when you are bypassing a bad OBC or using a different charger that uses the stock port. With the stock port, the black has to get back to the batteries so they charge but you'll need to wire the Lithium charger to the battery directly. The black wire connection is not needed with the lithium install and onboard charger. My BDGR battery charger came with an Anderson connector but that required disconnecting the batteries to charge them so I cut the connectors off and hard wired the battery cables, charger cables and solar charge controller cables to busbars. I am no expert but from what I read you can remove the OBC completely without connecting any of the wires that went to it originally.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
badankle
Not Yet Wild

Eric. Install is finished. Works great . I was worried about totally removing every thing from charger port receptacle { 2 10 g wires} that were connected to the controller from the OBC too. I thought those wires might effect the controller after I removed the OBC connections. I think the blue /white jump eliminates that.
It was just a little scary ripping every thing out, cutting wires and hoping the cart would move. Thanks so much for your help , your right this site / community has been great !!
Old 12-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes, lots of great/knowledgeable people here willing to help us folks that don't know what we are doing. Site is run by volunteers and what I try to do is every time it helps me figure out stuff on my own (saving me big bucks), I donate to the site. Click the "donate" button above, money goes to keeping site going (not someones pocket). Glad you got it figured out!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!