lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
344russf
Not Yet Wild

Default GSX-R swap questions

Hello. I’ve been following this site for a while now and have learned a ton about engine swaps. I can do all the fabrication work needed to do it right and make it safe. I’ve tried searching but still can’t find some answers that I need. I have a Suzuki GSX-R 750 engine but no cart yet.
Is there a year and model that has more room for the engine than others?
Should I use a go kart type axle in the rear? It’s the easiest way but not great for the street and no reverse. Golf carts are street legal where I live.
Is there a chain driven reverse unit that can be used instead?
I have read that the cart stock transmission and rear end won’t work because of low gearing and too much engine power for it.
I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go. Thank you.
344russf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
kawasaki
Gone Wild
Tomberlin

Default Re: GSX-R swap questions

You can use a golf cart rear end but you will need a strong jack shaft. Then you will have to overdrive it like a 17 or 18 tooth on the motor and a 12 on the jack shaft. Mine is a GSXR 600 cruises 25 mph at 4,000 rpms and has a 16,000 rpm redline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-02-28_18.32.42.jpg (203.6 KB, 0 views)
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #3
344russf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. Is the stock rear end strong enough for the horsepower? My motor is around 145 hp.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
kawasaki
Gone Wild
Tomberlin

mine is 120 hp and I do not dump the clutch just kind of roll on before I nail it.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Stock golf cart driveline parts are not only HP sensitive, but RPM sensitive as well. The clutches have been known to come apart above certain rpm with a high powered engine. Can you say "SHRAPNEL"

I've seen some cool builds done with UTV transmissions/diffs and cv type axles. Look at Ebay for used diffs and axles from like a Polaris RZR, you might even use the clutches from the same machine. Some of those are 100+ HP.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
344russf
Not Yet Wild

I thought of adapting the setup from a RZR or atv. Just not sure how much room I will have.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
kawasaki
Gone Wild
Tomberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Stock golf cart driveline parts are not only HP sensitive, but RPM sensitive as well. The clutches have been known to come apart above certain rpm with a high powered engine. Can you say "SHRAPNEL"

I've seen some cool builds done with UTV transmissions/diffs and cv type axles. Look at Ebay for used diffs and axles from like a Polaris RZR, you might even use the clutches from the same machine. Some of those are 100+ HP.
No clutches involved in this build. The clutch is in the gsxr motor.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
344russf
Not Yet Wild

What about golf cart sizes. Do any of the major brands have more room for the swap?
Old 05-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I like the earlier EZGO carryalls that have a ton of space under the bed. Really tried to buy a roller to swap Suzi's sled engine into. Got outbid 3 times.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
344russf
Not Yet Wild

Bought a golf cart today for the swap. 1999 EZ-GO with an 18 hp Vanguard engine. Good aftermarket suspension all around. Weird thing is it has a Club Car rear end/transmission but the motor is mounted backwards. Any ideas why? The rear swingarm is well done and the motor swings with it. My question is for the guys with street bike motors. Do your motors move with the swingarm or do you mount them rigidly and have the swingarm move independently? Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps