lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Pre-1898
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Storing my electric cart for winter ??

I am in Canada and sometime winter can be extremely cold up here. Since it is my first winter with a golf cart, I wonder if I shall take my batteries inside for winter, or just give them a good charge, and leaved them in my tarped cart outside, and plug it once in a while in order to keep it them charged. Was told fully charged battery shall not fear winter. but what would be best?

What would be best ?
Pre-1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Storing my electric cart for winter ??

Yes, fully charged battery will not freeze.. You will have to monitor the pack to see how long it will take for the charge to drain off of them. I would check it 30 minutes after a full charge and then one week after. Find out where it drops to about 49v (others may suggest higher?) and recharge. and monitor again . I'm thinking every one to two weeks depending on the condition of your batteries and connections and the severity of the weather.Don't forget to check the water levels....outside with a tarp IS worse case senario....hope this helps I think inside would be better but you will still have to charge and moitor them.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have seen many carts with batteries fully charged, then disconnect the pos and neg wire and still have 50+ volts in the spring. Carts were tarped, and left outside.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

If you look around hard enough you can find a little charger that monitors and keep those batteries charged for the winter. I've never used one so I don't know how well it does.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

that or a small engine blanket wrapped around the batteries would keep them warm. It's an electric blanket made to keep the engine block and fluids warm on cars/trucks/diesels. You could improvise I'm sure. I know people that just put a strand of Christmas lights (the big bulbs) on their plants and put a blanket over the top to help hold the warmth in, so you could do something similar in the cart by putting a set of lights, or a regular lightbulb in a droplight housing placed in the battery compartment, and just leave it on. It may or may not be enough to keep the batteries warm since the compartment since there is so much ventilation around the batteries.

We used to have a small "trickle" charger (like 1 or 2 amps or something) that we used to maintain charge on our generators, atv's, etc. when not in use, so as phasetim mentioned, you should be able to find one that will monitor and keep the batteries charged. It will not overcharge because it will shut off and turn back on when necessary.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
gsxrfan
Gone Wild

What about just leaving the cart on the charger all winter? Would that hurt anything?
gsxrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrfan View Post
What about just leaving the cart on the charger all winter? Would that hurt anything?
That depends on the charger.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car