lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #811
dingdangit
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bombardier NEV owner exchange

Hey guys: I'm a genuine virgin newbie with the Bombardier and this is my very first post.

Bought but not yet received a 1996 with ID S96 212. It is supposed to be in good condition with 'weak' batteries which have been removed from the tray. Hoping I have not bought a money pit, like a boat. Or a woman. Sorry, that is not PC.

So I will need batteries. Group 27 are supposed to fit? Anybody got recommendations for battery brand or any other specs? Seem to need to be sealed as it would be a pain to access for watering.

I need a service manual? Anybody have a copy? I've read a fair amount on this thread and it looks like lots of good info but also that schematics and pictures of parts/assemblies are needed to understand some of the posts. I can call Peacock to see if they have one in paper or a download but if somebody has a electronic copy, that would be great!
dingdangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #812
ewpwbwi
Getting Wild

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0i2uupox6...13%5D.pdf?dl=0

the above should get you a copy of the manual

see posts 745 796

post 630 shows the larger batteries setting in the tray

Last edited by ewpwbwi; 12-12-2020 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: add info
ewpwbwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #813
dingdangit
Not Yet Wild

Hi Rangerbeh: What batteries did you buy?
I'm in the process of getting a '97 which will likely need new batteries. Checking at a golf cart store/dealer today and they were quoting about $400 per battery for Reliant/Trojan agm batteries with earliest delivery in Feb. I had anticipated more in the $1700 range but they said had been a couple of price increases in the past couple months.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #814
dingdangit
Not Yet Wild

Thank you ewpwbwi for the service manual link and posts about batteries. Has made for some interesting reading.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #815
ewpwbwi
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdangit View Post
Hi Rangerbeh: What batteries did you buy?
I'm in the process of getting a '97 which will likely need new batteries. Checking at a golf cart store/dealer today and they were quoting about $400 per battery for Reliant/Trojan agm batteries with earliest delivery in Feb. I had anticipated more in the $1700 range but they said had been a couple of price increases in the past couple months.
for reference:
I got a set of 6, 100ah deep cycle AGM batteries from Pro Power Batteries LLC, 12 cork hill rd, franklin NJ 07416 for 971.94 drop shipped to my garage door and I turned the old ones in locally for $92. that was 3 years ago....still running great.

Ebay also has listings for this type batterys

Last edited by ewpwbwi; 12-22-2020 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 01-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #816
dingdangit
Not Yet Wild

Steering Wheel - Replacement info.
EZGO 6865 Steering wheel/cardholder assembly. Fits 1975 and up.
$38.95 at Cartszone.com or $34.95 at RockyTopCarts on eBay.

This is an exact match steering wheel for 1997-99; do not know about 2000. Center cover is included and is the Golf version with the cardholder. The plastic cardholder is clear on the original but black on the replacement.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #817
jackboy
Not Yet Wild

I just completed a controller and instrument cluster retrofit on my 1999 Bomb.

I was having ongoing problems with the cluster and then found I needed a new controller. I researched all of the available controllers suitable for separately excited shunt motors at 72V and found that there are only a couple of choices. The most common is the Curtis 1244 which is available in 400, 500 and 600 amp sizes up to 80 volts. I had a difficult time finding a 400A unit and then purchased a new, unused 600A unit for $350 on ebay.

The Curtis 1244 controllers use 72V control signals, so I needed to interface the 12V signals used for the control in the NEV.

I designed a relay logic control to replace the electronic instrument cluster and added a programmable pulse input meter for the speedometer. I had previously added a digital battery monitor. The rewiring was significant, however there were enough wires available in the original harnesses.

The NEV is again operational with some of the benefits of the new controller. I rented a programming unit from MRK Sales, mrksales.net , for $50 per month plus shipping. The controller is able to have 4 programmable modes of operation (like the NEV Drive/Golf modes), however the SPDT switch I used only affords me 3 modes. The controller supports a throttle/braking control so that when the throttle is reduced regenerative braking begins and at low speed plug braking (motor field reversing) takes over. The rate and amount of braking are programmable so that now the limited braking of the hydraulic brakes is not an issue. I limited the minimum shunt current to 3 amps as was the original controller which limits the maximum level ground speed to about 31 MPH as measured with a GPS speedometer. It can go about 20% faster with less shunt current but the amount of brush arcing increases along with the motor temperature (to the point of significantly reduced motor life) and 30 MPH is fast enough for my needs.

I have attached the full set of wiring drawings and a schematic of the instrument cluster. I also included a list of the instrument cluster parts and a photo of the layout.

This is a project requiring a significant technical skill and knowledge. I have been doing and teaching this type of work for the last 50 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller Retrofit Cluster Schematic.jpg (121.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Components.pdf (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Controller Retrofit Wiring and Cluster Schematic.pdf (3.56 MB, 0 views)
jackboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #818
austinwaldrop
Not Yet Wild

I have a Bombardier that I have been working on with new batteries all around. I have all the dash lights working and the cart will go into R, N, D, and G with no issues and show that on the dash. The battery charge level indicator lights are always blinking and I can not get the cart to move at all. The gas pedal has a clicking noise when I press it but nothing happens other than that. I have the owners manual but I honestly do not see where I should start looking for issues. Any help would be great.
austinwaldrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #819
dingdangit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinwaldrop View Post
I have a Bombardier that I have been working on with new batteries all around. I have all the dash lights working and the cart will go into R, N, D, and G with no issues and show that on the dash. The battery charge level indicator lights are always blinking and I can not get the cart to move at all. The gas pedal has a clicking noise when I press it but nothing happens other than that. I have the owners manual but I honestly do not see where I should start looking for issues. Any help would be great.
I'm very much a newbie to this, but perhaps posts 114 and 122 can give some leads.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #820
ewpwbwi
Getting Wild

A lot of problems with the display can be corrected by disconnecting and reconnecting it to reset the display
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts