lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lithium Batteries

I have six year old T-875 batteries and am considering lithium. Have read that I need to upgrade to a/c drive if I go lithium.

I have a price on new T-875's for $805.
Charger and OBC are still working but I do have to reboot OBC some times.
Also considering PlumQuick upgrade.

I live in coastal area of Ga. and travel with golf cart daily.
I have been reading the post on lithium upgrade but haven't seen a clear winner based on supplier in my area.

I would perfer doing the upgrade myself but would like support availability if needed.

Thanks
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Lithium Batteries

Soooo....what are you asking, lol? If you can afford the Lithium, you'll be glad you did it. Not sure why someone said you needed to convert the cart to AC, however. The motor or the cart does not care how you deliver the 48volts as long as you deliver the 48 volts
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, I wanted to be sure I'm not wasteing my money if I don't upgrade to a/c motor controller and at my age is the T-875's the smarter investment?

From reading the post most everyone loves the lithium upgrade but I can't get a handle on the best option of brand and service in my area.

Thanks for your input
Old 03-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
emoney
Not Yet Wild

I think the key is can you access service help if the goal is to be hands off. There are advantages and disadvantages and, end of the day, it really boils down to what you're after.

Pros: Longer life, by a lot. So if you got 6 years out of your lead acid then you can expect 10 out of a good Lithium set.
No adding water, which people tend to forget to do, altho rarely do they get 6 years of life by forgetting, lol. They're a LOT lighter, so folks claim a performance enhancement just because they reduce the weight of the cart by several hundred pounds. They will allow you to go further between charge.

Cons: they're normally at least 3 x the cost and maybe more if you're not at doing some DIY. They're an entirely different chemistry, of course, so a lithium pack for a 48v cart, 100Ah would do well. At the same time, the Trojan's will claim to have a "250 Ah", but that's not the same because at best you get 50% of use out of a lead acid battery. Did I mention they were expensive? If you're purchasing a "drop in system", you'll want to go with someone that can provide a warranty. Lots of folks around here have installed RoyPow, which you may be able to find a local dealer in your area.

End of the day, only you can decide "if it's worth it". Good luck and keep us posted.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #5
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Lithium Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakebit View Post
I have six year old T-875 batteries and am considering lithium. Have read that I need to upgrade to a/c drive if I go lithium.
Thanks

You do not have to change to a/c drive to go lithium. On my last cart, a 2001 DS, I added a lithium pack and onboard charger myself. I did not change the motor nor the controller. I also ripped out any unnecessary wiring including the old charger port wiring and the OBC....

My cart dropped near 300lbs and that pls the slightly higher voltage made it a little bit faster. Going lithium was the best mod for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There is no reason that you would have to upgrade to AC drive. I have been running Lithium in my 2012 Yamaha for over four years now. DC motor with Alltrax controller.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Well, I wanted to be sure I'm not wasteing my money if I don't upgrade to a/c motor controller and at my age is the T-875's the smarter investment?
I'm 65 and I got a Roypow and don't intend on ever buying anymore batteries, never checking water, connections or worrying about corrosion or acid spills again. Wish I had done it a long time ago...freated about the money, now glad I spend the extra and would do it again.
Bama Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Really appriciate the response from you guys. After reading several post I was sure most would recommend the lithium upgrade but have had confusion about the Allied, Relion, RoyPow and Extreme Team Cart options.

I watched a Youtube video on the RoyPow installation and really like what I see and hear, it's the shipping delay for delivery from China that gives me concern.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #9
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Really appriciate the response from you guys. After reading several post I was sure most would recommend the lithium upgrade but have had confusion about the Allied, Relion, RoyPow and Extreme Team Cart options.

I watched a Youtube video on the RoyPow installation and really like what I see and hear, it's the shipping delay for delivery from China that gives me concern.

I was very impressed with the multiple conversations I had with Blake at Extreme Team Carts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:

Here is a thread for comparison of different options: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142

You can't buy directly from Roypow, must go thru a dealer and they usually have them in stock
Bama Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car