lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
orthopod
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default Ez-go l6 conversion to lithium battery recommendations

Bob Boyce modded my l6 (thanks bob!!). He also modded my neighbors, and we are all very happy.

My neighborhood is Hilly. I live in a golf cart/winery community.

I’ve got a couple bad lead acid batteries. I’m tired of these things going out every couple years and one of the convert to a lithium battery system possible.

Anyone (Bob?) care to make a recommendation on a high capacity battery tech system?

Is it possible to use 3 of theses:

DAKOTA LITHIUM 24V 50AH DEEP CYCLE LIFEPO4 SINGLE BATTERY

For about the same price could use 6 of these:
12v 54ah batteries
https://dakotalithium.com/product/da...motor-battery/

Also bob, if you read this I’d love to talk to you more about your shoulder, etc (I’m the orthopedic surgeon)
orthopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez-go l6 conversion to lithium battery recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
Bob Boyce modded my l6 (thanks bob!!). He also modded my neighbors, and we are all very happy.

I’ve got a couple bad lead acid batteries. I’m tired of these things going out every couple years and one of the convert to a lithium battery system possible.

Anyone (Bob?) care to make a recommendation on a high capacity battery tech system?

12v 54ah batteries

Also bob, if you read this I’d love to talk to you more about your shoulder, etc (I’m the orthopedic surgeon)
Hey there Doc

I'm in FL currently. Jeff did tell me that you contacted him. I told him to give you my cell #, even though I thought you still had it. You'll probably want to go with a purpose built solution, rather than use prebuilt "batteries" of cells. The reason why is the BMS in those "batteries" are not integrated with the BMS of each of the others. And they tend to drop out under load. This can surely corrupt your controller.

While a purpose built system could be put together with an integrated BMS. The new 2018+ Nissan Leaf modules are paired up into 14.4V @ 116A modules. 5 of those modules would give you what you need. You just have to find a source. I bought the pack from a low mileage 2018 Nissan Leaf that was wrecked, so I know they are available. My purchase was for building a battery bank for my new 31.5 KW solar array.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:

12v 54ah batteries

For what it's worth, I have put together a comparison chart for those considering switching to lithium. The chart only contains comparisons for the 100Ah range, but these brands do carry higher ranges. I agree with Bob that the all-in-one packages would be a better system IMO. I ended up purchasing the Roypow simply due to local availability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1861.jpg (220.2 KB, 0 views)
cajun000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Joshwaa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the full specs on the Allied if your interested cajun. I have 6 of them in my cart and I am very impressed. Spent an entire day out at the woods traveling on soft and very soft dirt roads. Still had 40% left we we left for the day. Gps had it a traveling 35.2mi that day. If I had to guess I would say if on pavement I would get well over 100mi on a charge. Actually just looked up the OP cart is it a 72v so I can not attest for how good their 72v 18ah models are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210211_144908.jpg (249.0 KB, 0 views)
Joshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
I have the full specs on the Allied if your interested cajun. I have 6 of them in my cart and I am very impressed. Spent an entire day out at the woods traveling on soft and very soft dirt roads. Still had 40% left we we left for the day. Gps had it a traveling 35.2mi that day. If I had to guess I would say if on pavement I would get well over 100mi on a charge. Actually just looked up the OP cart is it a 72v so I can not attest for how good their 72v 18ah models are.
Great. Please send me the full specs so I can fill out the spreadsheet (please validate my MAP, including or excluding installation). My Roypow is the S51105 model - so only 105Ahs. My recent experience has been approximately the 50 mile range with the SOC meter at 1 bar. This is 5 events on relatively flat road to the course one mile each way and playing a round of golf on slight hilly terrain. Do not want to push it any further. Very please with my purchase.
cajun000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 10:38 PM   #6
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Hi. Bob also modded my 72v Express L6. Did you ever convert to Lithium?

Quote:

12v 54ah batteries

nnmsgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:08 AM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

There are much better solutions today compared to 2021. Get a 72v lithium battery from one of the main lithium cart battery suppliers such as Eco Battery, Allied etc.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:13 PM   #8
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
There are much better solutions today compared to 2021. Get a 72v lithium battery from one of the main lithium cart battery suppliers such as Eco Battery, Allied etc.
Thank you. Are those direct drop in replacements for my 6 12v Trojans? I've heard about Big Battery, Eco and Allied. Seem like wildly different prices
nnmsgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #9
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Thank you. Are those direct drop in replacements for my 6 12v Trojans? I've heard about Big Battery, Eco and Allied. Seem like wildly different prices
The different prices reflect different levels of service and quality of materials.
Also some come with voltage reducers as part of the package deal as well as a charger where others are just a price for a battery.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:55 PM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

What Jasonojordan said.

Allied, Epoch and Trojan have smaller 48v batteries that are the same size as your existing batteries and will sit in your existing battery tray. You will need more than one though, usually 2, 3 or even more for a modified cart. 3 seems to be the sweet spot for standard carts.

There are also larger 75Ah+ batteries that may need some modifications to the battery tray to make fit. The kit from Eco Battery includes all you need to modify your cart, including voltage reducer and charger. They seem to have the best reliability and after sales support but you do pay for that.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO