lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question Input on battery monitoring

Looking for insight on a couple of different systems for battery monitoring. Besides the bluetooth option (which is nice but I can't see as being necessary), I was wondering if there was a lot to gain my opting for the Victron set up.
Do any of you guys have experience with either one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OHXF24LJ&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-500A-B...s%2C178&sr=1-4
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Input on battery monitoring

First....I'm not an engineer so take what I say with that knowledge.

I didn't review the first link much, but the second one I read thru the description and can't find anywhere that the unit monitors individual cell voltages.

I assume you're looking at this for a lithium battery pack? While it's not a requirement to have individual cell voltages monitored, it's a good idea too have a unit that will do that.

Remember, once any given cell in a lithium pack is overcharged or undercharged, that cell is toast and should NOT continued to be used.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Input on battery monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Looking for insight on a couple of different systems for battery monitoring. Besides the bluetooth option (which is nice but I can't see as being necessary), I was wondering if there was a lot to gain my opting for the Victron set up.
Do any of you guys have experience with either one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OHXF24LJ&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-500A-B...s%2C178&sr=1-4
I use the "Renogy" unit you linked. I find it is very accurate, and does what it says in terms of keeping up with a pretty precise SOC. I can charge the pack, drive the cart 30-40 miles, and charge it back up and the charger shuts off within a minute or two of the SOC meter hitting "100%".

You can also set a separate voltage alarm level, so that if your pack voltage drops below X it will start flashing / beeping, regardless of the SOC it thinks is in the battery. Many of the more sophisticated motor controllers also have programmable behavior when voltages reach a certain level, so you can "feel" it in the driveability of the cart when it gets low. These are helpful to have, but having an accurate SOC that is based on measured energy in and out is key.

WRT to individual cell voltages as mentioned above, presumably you have a BMS as part of your battery that is handling that aspect.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium