lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Anyone fly ultralights ?

I have been seeing ultralights go by every once in a while and thought it would be interesting to investigate further. Like a golf cart for the air. Also found out no FAA requirements to fly them but the craft itself has requirements.

Just starting to generate some info and was wondering if anyone can steer me into the right wind. I also found a EAA website this morning....very informational.

Anyone fly ?
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone fly ultralights ?

I fly RC. That as risky as close to flying as I want to get
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I fly RC. That as risky as close to flying as I want to get
I hear that! I have an airboat with aircraft motor- when I blew that motor up the only thing I could think was if I was in a **** plane I would of been dead! Granted we run em a lot harder and turn them up higher rpms than they do in a plane...
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I've flown experimentals but never an ultralight. My father liked the powered parachutes and I always hang out a lot at the ultralight line at Sun-N-Fun.

Ultralight manufacturer's love to tout the slow stall speed of their aircraft as a safety point. What often gets lost is the very high drag they have. When the engine quits there isn't much glide. You are coming down in a hurry and at a pretty steep angle.

---
And, I've been stuck in the swamp when our boat powered by a LT1 had an electrical problem in the rain. Another boat powered by a Lycoming O-540 came and picked us up. After that I've had an even greater love of the cave man simple aircraft engine.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I love the idea of having my own plane. A 4 seater single engine.

But the way I see it I have been lucky enough with motorcycles, jet ski's, and boats.

I think I'll leave the flying to somebody else.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Pilotdane,
Yes, stall speed is an easy number to find in kit plane advertisements, drag is not.

If I remember, when I did see a stall number, it was given as a ratio.

Ultralight manufacturer's love to tout the slow stall speed of their aircraft as a safety point. What often gets lost is the very high drag they have. When the engine quits there isn't much glide. You are coming down in a hurry and at a pretty steep angle.

Does "drag" also have a ratio ? What kind of numbers am I looking for ?

Thanks,
Old 09-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I've only got far enough to figure out that companies sell kits and not everyone is able to complete them. Some are selling them at reduced prices. Some have folding/removable wings....most ideal for a barn door versus a hanger.

One drawback is, now I must rely on previous unknown quality of work...

I did find some books at the library on stick and rudder operation and info on the soft wing style. I don't think I can run very long with a motor and propeller on my back so I'm thinking sitting like my golf cart is best.

Found some old aviation magazines too.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I'd love to fly an ultralight but being a big guy 6'4" and not skinny it doesn't leave me alot of choices. I'll probably try for a sport pilot license as no medical is involved. The FAA is currently redoing the requirements for sport pilot approved aircraft and will probably be approved by 2023 for certain 4 place and higher performance aircraft. A certified aircraft certainly sounds better to me than an experimental light sport.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

If I were buying an ultralight I'd probably buy a Kolb. They are one of the few companies that have been around a long time. At the air shows their planes seem to handle well and have good performance. And, if you are too small for a legal ultralight or want more performance they have LSA models.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Was looking at one of these,

https://kolbaircraft.com/firefly.htm

Had fold back wings so it's easy to store and tow. Not really looking to go across the country. More for fun in the countryside.

The back yard is 1/4 mile long so it doesn't need an airport and related expenses....

Just thought I would open some doors and see where everyone is at with this. Might not happen if numbers don't line up. Just so happy with the golf cart already that we managed over 120 hours this summer just going here and there. The dog has gotten very lazy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!